Bouyancy: mass and displacement

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of displacement and its relationship to mass, density, and buoyancy. The speaker also asks questions about why ships sink when overloaded and how different types of vessels can remain afloat. The expert summarizer explains that displacement is the mass of the object and that it is not always equal to its volume. They also clarify that ships can sink when overloaded because the buoyant force increases as weight is added. Additionally, they mention that many ships and boats have water-tight compartments that contribute to their ability to remain afloat.
KeiaYamada
This is something I've always wondered and I have never taught about this at school so I leave a thread on this forum.

I know that displacement = the mass of the object, but I don't quite get this concept.
For example, if you have a kilogram of gold and a kilogram of iron and put them in different bowls that are filled with water until they sink to the bottom of the bowls, the chunk of gold will displace a different amount of water but that doesn't mean its mass is different from the iron, or does it?

I am sorry this question is very basic and ridiculous, but an hour of googling didn't yield me a satisfactory answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
A floating body displaces its own mass of water. A submerged body displaces its own volume of water. If the volume of the body is greater than that of the same mass of water (i.e. it is less dense than water), it will float. If it is denser, it will sink.

Likes KeiaYamada
KeiaYamada said:
displacement = the mass of the object,
No.

KeiaYamada said:
For example, if you have a kilogram of gold and a kilogram of iron and put them in different bowls that are filled with water until they sink to the bottom of the bowls, the chunk of gold will displace a different amount of water but that doesn't mean its mass is different from the iron, or does it?
You have just explained why the above is wrong.

Likes KeiaYamada
! Thank you so much! I was doing my project related to ships, and wondered why displacement = mass. I went through the internet for hours and nothing explained me why. Thank you!

KeiaYamada said:
! Thank you so much! I was doing my project related to ships, and wondered why displacement = mass. I went through the internet for hours and nothing explained me why. Thank you!
"Displacement" in the context of ships means the mass of the ship. It assumes that the object floats, so the mass of the displaced water equals the mass of the object. But this doesn't apply in general.

Likes KeiaYamada
Thank you again for answering my question!

Do you mind if I ask another question? Why do ships sink when they are outpopulated?
Because density of human body is smaller than the density of water or seawater, and because buoyant force = displacement in volume (basically kg to m3) * density of liquid * free-fall acceleration, the buoyant force would also increase as the weight of the ship increases. I am sorry that I keep asking ridiculous questions, but I really have trouble understanding what I haven't been taught in class.

KeiaYamada said:
Thank you again for answering my question!

Do you mind if I ask another question? Why do ships sink when they are outpopulated?
Because density of human body is smaller than the density of water or seawater,
The humans on the ship are immersed in air not water, until the ship sinks...

Likes KeiaYamada
Also, most ships and boats are not closed objects, so the volume they can displace is not fixed. Think about a simple canoe, which has a potential displacement volume dictated by the height of the side-walls and an actual displacement volume dependent on how low they sit in the water. Normally, that volume is filled with air, people and cargo. But if you put just a little too much cargo in or punch a hole in the bottom, that volume then fills up with water instead.

Many ships/boats though have temporary or permanent water-tight compartments, which make them technically unsinkable unless broken-up. Many canoes have compartments fore and aft that are filled with closed-cell styrofoam, which essentially makes them just permanently sealed containers of air. So if you fill such a canoe with water, it won't sink all the way. I once took a canoeing course where one of the activities was to paddle a fully-submerged canoe.

Likes KeiaYamada
russ_watters said:
Also, most ships and boats are not closed objects, so the volume they can displace is not fixed. Think about a simple canoe, which has a potential displacement volume dictated by the height of the side-walls and an actual displacement volume dependent on how low they sit in the water. Normally, that volume is filled with air, people and cargo. But if you put just a little too much cargo in or punch a hole in the bottom, that volume then fills up with water instead.

Many ships/boats though have temporary or permanent water-tight compartments, which make them technically unsinkable unless broken-up. Many canoes have compartments fore and aft that are filled with closed-cell styrofoam, which essentially makes them just permanently sealed containers of air. So if you fill such a canoe with water, it won't sink all the way. I once took a canoeing course where one of the activities was to paddle a fully-submerged canoe.
AHHH that fully makes sense now! I've never thought it would be that reason, thank you so much!

Related to Bouyancy: mass and displacement

1. What is buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object that is submerged in it. It is a result of the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object.

2. How is buoyancy related to an object's mass?

The buoyant force on an object is directly proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the greater the buoyant force it experiences.

3. How does displacement affect buoyancy?

Displacement is the volume of fluid that an object displaces when it is submerged. According to Archimedes' principle, an object experiences a buoyant force equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. Therefore, an object with a greater displacement will experience a greater buoyant force.

4. Can an object sink if it is buoyant?

Yes, an object can still sink even if it is buoyant. This can happen if the weight of the object is greater than the buoyant force acting on it. In this case, the object will sink until the weight of the fluid it displaces equals its own weight.

5. How is buoyancy used in real-life applications?

Buoyancy is used in many real-life applications, such as shipbuilding, hot air balloons, and scuba diving equipment. It is also important in understanding the behavior of objects in fluids, such as why some objects float and others sink.