Bounded integrable periodic function

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a bounded periodic function and its integral with a Lebesgue integrable function. The solution involves changing variables and using Riemann integration, and it is noted that the set of continuous functions is dense in the set of Lebesgue integrable functions.
mesarmath
hi,
i have a hard problem, i guess so,
i am looking for any help
Code:
g(x) is a bounded Lebesgue measurable function that is periodic
i.e.  [tex]g(x)=g(x+p)[/tex]. Then for every [tex]f \in L^1(\Re)[/tex]

[tex]lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\int_{\Re}f(x)g(nx) dx=(\int_{\Re}f(x)dx)((1/p){\int_{0}^{p}g(x) dx)[/tex]

thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use the fact that g(nx+p)=g(n(x+p/n)). Therefore the integral over shorter and shorter intervals will contain a full cycle of g leading to the result described. I'll let you work out the details.

after 4 hours working :)
i solved , here the steps
1-) change of u=nx and as n goes to infty [-n,n] goes to whole space
2-) after some operations and by dividing [-n,n] into 2n/p equal pieces with length p/n
3-) then again change of u=t+ip-p where -n^2/p < i < n^2/p,
4-) by riemann integration as n goes to infinity, we get right hand side

that was real fun to solve it
if i can't solve , then it becomes a huge pain :)

The main quibble I have with your approach is that the original problem was in terms of f being Lebesgue integrable, not Riemann.

mathman said:
The main quibble I have with your approach is that the original problem was in terms of f being Lebesgue integrable, not Riemann.

the set of continuous functions is dense in the set of Lebesgue integrable functions

So when we do the problem for a continuous function (i.e. riemann integrable)
we can extend it to any lebesgue integrable function.

am i wrong?

I'm pretty rusty on the subject, but you are probably right.

Related to Bounded integrable periodic function

1. What is a bounded integrable periodic function?

A bounded integrable periodic function is a mathematical function that is defined and has a finite value over a specific range of inputs, is integrable (meaning the area under the curve can be calculated), and repeats itself periodically. This means that the function has a repeating pattern over a certain interval, and its values do not grow infinitely large or small.

2. How do you determine if a function is bounded integrable periodic?

To determine if a function is bounded integrable periodic, you can check if it meets the criteria for each of these three properties. This includes checking that the function has a finite value over a specific range of inputs, that the integral of the function exists, and that the function has a repeating pattern over a certain interval.

3. What are some examples of bounded integrable periodic functions?

Some examples of bounded integrable periodic functions include sine, cosine, and tangent functions, as well as polynomial and exponential functions with a finite range of inputs. These functions have a repeating pattern over a certain interval and their values do not grow infinitely large or small.

4. What is the significance of bounded integrable periodic functions in science?

Bounded integrable periodic functions are significant in science because they can be used to model and describe many natural phenomena. For example, they can be used to describe the motion of waves, the behavior of oscillating systems, and the periodicity of natural processes such as the seasons or the tides.

5. Can a function be bounded, integrable, and periodic, but not integrable over its entire range?

Yes, a function can be bounded, integrable, and periodic, but not integrable over its entire range. This is because the integrability of a function depends on the behavior of the function over a specific range of inputs. A function may meet the criteria for boundedness, integrability, and periodicity over a certain interval, but may not be integrable over its entire range due to discontinuities or other irregularities.