Can Custom Color Schemes Be Expected in Future Updates?

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
In summary, the author suggests that users be able to customize the color scheme to their liking. It is possible to have the user customize the color scheme to their liking. There is a link to a website that has resources on color scheming. There is a suggestion that a design contest be held to choose a new color scheme.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I was wondering whether there are any plans in the future for customizing color schemes. I remember that in a previous version this was possible..

The blues are.. making me blue. I want reds and purple and pink!

Physics news on Phys.org
Reds and purples and pinks, eh?
I have a feeling that my cynical side is going to make me say something very sardonic in a minute. I'm already starting to twitch.

It's possible to have the user customize the color scheme to their liking.

here's some Web development resources on color scheming, forum themes, color theory..etc

http://www.digitaldeviation.net/links/ [Broken]

EDIT: The link was intended in case the Admin would want to implement it, figured it will help in some way :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've managed to refrain from sarcasm, you can too! (It's a good idea, but still, it warrants a good sarcastic remark! :wink:)

nahh... greg should just redo the colors. I really like moniques idea... some pinks would really be nice. some lavender would really help too... or maybe a really deep purple... actually that'd be nice. Maybe the boards would draw a few more females if the place wasn't so blah... some pretty feminine colors would really be a nice change. Great idea monique!

Pinks? Lavender! Deep purple! Gah, there is no emoticon for what I'm feeling right now!

Originally posted by Hurkyl
Pinks? Lavender! Deep purple! Gah, there is no emoticon for what I'm feeling right now!

lol, doesn't look like Hurkyl is going to get much sleep tonight

but anyway, seriously I think gale is right, tomorrow I am switching to a lime green and hot pink skin, and of course with appropriate heart and flower icons where need

If Gale were Admin., PF would be a different place.
Need I say more?

Got all my sleep this afternoon! :frown:

Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
but anyway, seriously I think gale is right, tomorrow I am switching to a lime green and hot pink skin, and of course with appropriate heart and flower icons where need
Well, exactly my idea! :wink:

But I did think about all the other poor members, that's why I said customizing so that everyone can choose their own settings!

So you are going to take care of the flower icons Greg? How about an inactive topic is closed tulip, while active topics are a full-blooming tulips and the really popular threads are red roses in full bloom. Locked topics could be bulbs..

damn it Monique... you owe me a new keyboard!

Now I need to make myself another cup of coffee.

Originally posted by enigma
damn it Monique... you owe me a new keyboard!

Now I need to make myself another cup of coffee.
so you like the idea? Next time hold your enthousiasm until your hands are free, then start jumping out of joy.

i could go for some greens, teals, yellows, and oranges...needs to bright colors for the gray oregon days!

Originally posted by Kerrie
i could go for some greens, teals, yellows, and oranges...needs to bright colors for the gray oregon days!
Maybe that is it! I need a break from the winter blues I've already changed my wallpaper to bright red, something to stimulate the mind.

well i like the flower ideas monique, though maybe we should throw in some butterflies and rainbows. That'd really make pf much prettier. Much better than the drab gray-blues. Oooh or maybe Greg can decorate for the season. Have cute little penguins here and there, little prancing reindeer, Oh! and Gingerbread Men! how cute would that be?

oh wait, maybe we shouldn't leave greg in charge of decorating really... lime green and hot pink? obviously he's lacking in the color cooridination dept.

Winter Blues? winter is the best time of year guys! Me... i like my desktop to be black... then i can see my reflection, and that's always fun to look at!

(in his best Dexter voice)

Silly girls, do not dress it up in flowers and prancing reindeer, this is science!

Oh, and Gale, whatever happened to being sick of seeing yourself when you were on the computer? :wink:

Originally posted by Hurkyl
(in his best Dexter voice)

Silly girls, do not dress it up in flowers and prancing reindeer, this is science!

Oh, and Gale, whatever happened to being sick of seeing yourself when you were on the computer? :wink:

science can be pretty! And uh... well i just get tired of seeing the same dumb picture... my face though... no, no one could get tired of looking at that!

You sure about that?

(flees in fear of retaliation!)

But how do you put flounced valences on the boards?

Sometimes I question the sanity of PF's members.

Perhaps a design contest is in order. We could let members create and vote on the best design and greg has the final say. Then you'll get two options of themes in the user control panel - orignal or new.

Also, make sure the design displays nice in mozilla and opera. Don't worry too much about internet explorer.

Originally posted by dduardo
Also, make sure the design displays nice in mozilla and opera. Don't worry too much about internet explorer.
really, then flowers and teddybears it will be, don't be surprised when the 'old forum' option is not available for you dduardo..

I definitely do think a new site layout/color scheme is in need.

1) I think the site should make better use of the screen. In other words, smaller margins, none of this margin-within-a-margin-within-a-margin crap that we have now.

2) I think the colors could stand to be a little more active.

Greg, are you planning on using a different layout when you upgrade to the new vB code?

- Warren

The mkaku forum layout is really smooth and the color is easy on the eyes. Perhaps something similar to that.:wink:

Last edited:

1. What is a color scheme?

A color scheme is a planned combination of colors that are used in a design, artwork, or space. It involves choosing a primary color and then selecting complementary or contrasting colors to create a cohesive and visually appealing look.

2. How do I choose a color scheme for my project?

There are a few different methods for choosing a color scheme. One approach is to use a color wheel and select colors that are opposite each other for a complementary scheme, or colors that are next to each other for a harmonious scheme. You can also look to nature, fashion, or existing color palettes for inspiration.

3. Can I use more than three colors in a color scheme?

Yes, you can use as many colors as you like in a color scheme. However, it is generally recommended to stick to a maximum of five colors to avoid overwhelming the design. You can also use different shades and tints of the same color to add depth and variety.

4. What is the difference between warm and cool colors?

Warm colors, such as red, orange, and yellow, are associated with energy, warmth, and passion. Cool colors, such as blue, green, and purple, are calming and often associated with nature and serenity. When choosing a color scheme, it is important to consider the mood and emotion you want to convey.

5. How can I use a color scheme to create a cohesive design?

To create a cohesive design using a color scheme, it is important to use the chosen colors consistently throughout the project. This can be done through the use of accents, patterns, and textures. It is also helpful to limit the number of fonts used and stick to a consistent style and tone in the overall design.