Exploring Unusual Planetary Compositions: Plastic Planet and Beyond

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of unusual planetary compositions, with one person envisioning a planet made entirely of glass and crystal and another mentioning a diamond the size of Earth forming the core of Jupiter. The conversation also touches on the possibility of moons with high levels of Neptunium 237-239.
Loren Booda
What are some of the more unusual planetary compositions you can imagine? I envisioned a planet embodying exuded, colorful petro-plastics - like a "Lego Land." Earth itself is pretty strange with its lifeforms. I guess science fiction is replete with creative orbs.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I like this subject -one doesn't talk about the composition of imaginary planets too often. At least I don't. I think a planet made entirely out of smooth, polished-looking glass and crystal would be amazing. There could be giant, 200 plus foot crystals of different hues jutting out of the ground, caverns of glass, and entire mountains, valleys, and tree-like formations made of perfectly transparent glass. It would still have a molton core and geomagnetic dynamo... the only difference would be that it would consist of liquid crystal. I can imagine how spectacular a sunrise and sunset would be on a world like that... blinding, but amazing none the less, that is if it had an atmosphere like ours. How a world like this would form, I can't say. It is an interesting thought though.

Last edited:
I'd read about a diamond the size of Earth making up the core of Jupiter. Imagine if it got ejected, (don't ask how, 'tis Science Fiction) and took up an orbit near Earth? It would certainly be bigger than the Ritz.

Like Our Moon And Phobos

I'd think that they might be made of a similar mineral/chemical composition of that of our Moon, and one of Mars' moons (Phobos).

What I mean is, that there would be high amounts of Neptunium 237-239 present. More than that allowed by radioactive decay (sorry for not clarifying that Muster Mark(3)).

Last edited:

1. What is a plastic planet?

A plastic planet is a theoretical planet made up of mostly plastic materials, such as polyethylene and polystyrene. This hypothetical planet could exist in our own solar system or in other planetary systems, and has gained attention as a result of the growing problem of plastic pollution on Earth.

2. How would a plastic planet form?

There are a few theories on how a plastic planet could form. One possibility is that it could be the result of a planet forming in a debris disk of plastic particles left over from the formation of its parent star. Another theory suggests that a plastic planet could form from the accumulation of plastic debris from advanced civilizations.

3. Could life exist on a plastic planet?

It is unlikely that life as we know it could exist on a plastic planet. The extreme temperatures and lack of essential elements and nutrients would make it difficult for organisms to survive. However, there is a possibility that extremophile microorganisms could adapt to these extreme conditions and potentially survive on a plastic planet.

4. What other unusual planetary compositions could exist?

Aside from a plastic planet, there are many other unusual planetary compositions that could exist. These include diamond planets, lava planets, water worlds, and even planets with a core made of solid iron. The diversity of planetary compositions in our own solar system and beyond is vast and continues to surprise scientists.

5. How can studying unusual planetary compositions benefit us?

Studying unusual planetary compositions can give us a better understanding of the formation and evolution of planets. It can also expand our knowledge of the potential for life to exist in extreme environments and teach us more about the possibilities for habitable worlds beyond Earth. Additionally, studying unusual planets can also help us to better understand and address the environmental challenges facing our own planet.