Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Boundary of a Set in a Topological Space ... Browder, Remarks Following Defn 6.10, pages 125-126 ...

Peter

MHB Site Helper
Jun 22, 2012
I am reading Andrew Browder's book: "Mathematical Analysis: An Introduction" ... ...

I am reading Chapter 6: Topology ... ... and am currently focused on Section 6.1 Topological Spaces ...

I need some help in order to fully understand a statement by Browder in Section 6.1 ... ...

The relevant statements by Browder follow Definition 6.10 and read as follows:

Browder - 1 - Defn of Interior 6.10 and Relevant Remarks ... PART 1 ... ....png
Browder - 2 - Defn of Interior 6.10 and Relevant Remarks ... PART 2 ... .png

In the above text we read the following:

" ... ... The set \(\displaystyle \overline{E}\) \ \(\displaystyle E^{ \circ }\) is referred to as the boundary of \(\displaystyle E\), and is denoted by \(\displaystyle \text{bdry } E\); it is easy to see that \(\displaystyle \text{bdry } E = \emptyset\) if and only if \(\displaystyle E\) is both open and closed ... ... "

My question is as follows:

Can someone explain and demonstrate rigorously how/why \(\displaystyle \text{bdry } E = \emptyset\) if and only if \(\displaystyle E\) is both open and closed ... ... ?

Note: I was surprised at Browder's remark above because I was always under the impression (delusion?) that an open set had an empty set as its boundary ...

Help will be appreciated ... ...

Peter

======================================================================================

The closure of a subset of a topological space is an important notion in the above post so I am providing Browder's definition of closure as well as a basic proposition involving closure ... as follows ...

Browder - Defn of Closure 6.7 and Relevant Propn 6.8  ... .png

It may help readers of the above post to have access to Browder's fundamental topological definitions ... so I am providing the same as follows ... ...

Browder - 1 - Start of 6.1 - Relevant Defns & Propns ... PART 1 ... .png
Browder - 2 - Start of 6.1 - Relevant Defns & Propns ... PART 2 ... .png
Browder - 3 - Start of 6.1 - Relevant Defns & Propns ... PART 3 ... .png

Hope that helps ...

Peter

Last edited:

HallsofIvy

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
Note: I was surprised at Browder's remark above because I was always under the impression (delusion?) that an open set had an empty set as its boundary …

I can't say whether you are deluded or not but you are certainly wrong! Consider the "open interval" (0, 1) in R. Its closure is the closed set [0, 1]. Its boundary is {0, 1}.

What is true of an open set is that "an open set contains none of its boundary points", not that has no boundary points.

A closed set, conversely contains all of its boundary points. A set is both "open" and "closed" if and only if "none" is the same as "all". That is, if the set has no boundary points.

Peter

MHB Site Helper
Jun 22, 2012
I can't say whether you are deluded or not but you are certainly wrong! Consider the "open interval" (0, 1) in R. Its closure is the closed set [0, 1]. Its boundary is {0, 1}.

What is true of an open set is that "an open set contains none of its boundary points", not that has no boundary points.

A closed set, conversely contains all of its boundary points. A set is both "open" and "closed" if and only if "none" is the same as "all". That is, if the set has no boundary points.
[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]

Oh yes ... of course ... you're right ...

Thanks for the clarification... it was most helpful...

Peter