Boundary conditions of 2 conductors

In summary, the homework statement is that two potentials (one with a 0 and the other with an alpha) are given. The Laplace equation is solved for the boundary conditions implied by the picture. The Attempt at a Solution was to separate the variables in polar coordinates and find the 2 ODEs. One constant, c_3, remains after sweeping out the potential. The first question was about the potential for little r and the approximation for that was not possible due to the ln(0) in the Taylor Series approximation. The second question was about the potential blowing up as ##r\rightarrow \infty##. The answer to that question is that the potential should disappear of course in infinity. So the two unknown
Observer Two

Homework Statement

7h28x7rr.png

Ignore the text in German. You just need to see the picture. 2 conductors both with potential 0 are given. [itex]\alpha[/itex] is the angle between the conductors. (r, [itex]\varphi[/itex]) are polar coordinates pointing to a point in the plane.

Homework Equations

What we need to do is solve the Laplace equation:

Δ[itex]\phi[/itex] = 0

for the boundary conditions which are implied by the picture.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at a solution was to separate the variables in polar coordinates:

[itex]\phi(r, \varphi) = R(r)\Psi(\varphi) [/itex]

I think I did this correctly. It gives me the 2 ODEs:

[itex]R(r) = c_1 e^{k \cdot ln(r)} + c_2 e^{-k \cdot ln(r)}[/itex]

[itex]\Psi(\varphi) = c_3 sin(k \varphi) + c_4 cos(k \varphi)[/itex]

Now my problem is that I can only see 2 boundary conditions in the above picture:

[itex]\phi(r, 0) = 0[/itex] and [itex]\phi(r, \alpha) = 0[/itex]

But this only gives me the constants [itex]c_4[/itex] and k. How do I get the other constants? Are there any more boundary conditions which I'm blind to see?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Should the potential blow up as ##r\rightarrow \infty##? What does this tell you about ##c_1##?

Sweeping out ##\varphi## takes you from one conducting plate to the other and both plates are grounded. What does that tell you about ##c_4##?

Likes 1 person
I already did your second question. It tells me [itex]c_4[/itex] = 0.

The first one I didn't see however. The potential should disappear of course in infinity. This tells me [itex]c_1 = 0[/itex].

This would still leave me with 2 unknown constants however. [itex]c_2[/itex] and [itex]c_3[/itex]

What about r → 0? Can I say that the potential has to disappear there as well? Probably not otherwise the entire R(r) term would be 0.

Hmmm ...

The next question would be to approximate the potential for small r. So from that question alone I'd say that it should depend on r? lol

I found out that another constant can be determined by the equation Δ [itex](R(r) \Psi(\varphi)) = 0[/itex] itself. It gives [itex]c_3 = -1[/itex].

One constant remains though. So now I have:

[itex]\Phi(r, \varphi) = -C e^{-\frac{n \pi}{\alpha} \cdot ln(r)} sin(\frac{n \pi}{\alpha} \varphi)[/itex]

Oh well ... Close enough I guess. :redface:

Could you help me with the approximation for little r? I guess it's supposed to be a Taylor Series approximation but if I want to develop around [itex]x_0[/itex] = 0 for the very first summand [itex]f(x_0)[/itex] doesn't compute because of ln(0) ...

Related to Boundary conditions of 2 conductors

What are boundary conditions of 2 conductors?

Boundary conditions of 2 conductors refer to the specific conditions that must be met at the interface between two conductive materials. These conditions dictate how electric fields and currents behave at the boundary.

What is the significance of boundary conditions in studying conductors?

Boundary conditions are crucial in understanding the behavior of conductors because they determine how electric fields and currents are affected at the interface. This information is essential for designing electrical circuits and predicting the behavior of conductors in various applications.

How do boundary conditions affect the flow of electric current?

Boundary conditions can impact the flow of electric current in several ways. For instance, they can determine the direction and magnitude of current flow as well as the distribution of electric charges at the boundary between two conductors.

What are the types of boundary conditions that can occur between two conductive materials?

There are two main types of boundary conditions that can occur between two conductors: perfect conductor boundary conditions and imperfect conductor boundary conditions. Perfect conductor boundary conditions assume that there is no electric field or current flow across the boundary, while imperfect conductor boundary conditions allow for some leakage of current and electric field across the boundary.

How do boundary conditions affect the behavior of electric fields at the interface between two conductors?

Boundary conditions play a significant role in determining how electric fields behave at the interface between two conductors. They can affect the direction, magnitude, and distribution of electric fields, which in turn can impact the behavior of currents and charges at the boundary.