Boundary conditions for inhomogeneous non-sepearable 3D PDE

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Ohm's law and the inhomogeneous elliptic PDE to solve the 3D equation in spherical coordinates. The speaker is seeking help with expressing the boundary conditions in a specific form for input into PDE software, and mentions the need for \sigma to be invertible on the boundary for this to be possible.
vibe3
Hello, I am looking to solve the 3D equation in spherical coordinates
[tex]
\nabla \cdot \vec{J} = 0
[/tex]
using the Ohm's law
[tex]
\vec{J} = \sigma \cdot (\vec{E} + \vec{U} \times \vec{B})
[/tex]
where [itex]\sigma[/itex] is a given 3x3 nonsymmetric conductivity matrix and [itex]U,B[/itex] are given vector fields. I desire the electric potential [itex]\Phi[/itex] where [itex]\vec{E} = -\nabla \Phi[/itex]. This leads to the inhomogeneous elliptic PDE:
[tex]
\nabla \cdot (\sigma \cdot \nabla \Phi) = f
[/tex]
where the right hand side [itex]f[/itex] is known and is [itex]f = \nabla \cdot (\sigma \cdot \vec{U} \times \vec{B})[/itex].

Now my question relates to how to express the boundary conditions. Many existing PDE software require inputs of Robin-type boundary conditions, which would be of the form:
[tex]
a \Phi + b \hat{n} \cdot \nabla \Phi = g
[/tex]

For my particular problem, I am using a spherical region
[tex]
\Omega = [r_1,r_2] \times [\theta_1,\theta_2] \times [0, 2 \pi]
[/tex]
which is like a spherical shell with the top and bottom cut off at some [itex]\theta_1,\theta_2[/itex]

Now I know that at the lower boundary,
[tex]
\vec{J}(r_1,\theta,\phi) = 0
[/tex]
which means
[tex]
\sigma \cdot \nabla \Phi(r_1,\theta,\phi) = (\sigma \cdot (\vec{U} \times \vec{B}))(r_1,\theta,\phi) = g(r_1,\theta,\phi)
[/tex]
where [itex]g[/itex] is known.

What I can't see easily is now to convert this into the Robin-type equation above so it can be input into a PDE software. Does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
vibe3 said:
Hello, I am looking to solve the 3D equation in spherical coordinates
[tex]
\nabla \cdot \vec{J} = 0
[/tex]
using the Ohm's law
[tex]
\vec{J} = \sigma \cdot (\vec{E} + \vec{U} \times \vec{B})
[/tex]
where [itex]\sigma[/itex] is a given 3x3 nonsymmetric conductivity matrix and [itex]U,B[/itex] are given vector fields. I desire the electric potential [itex]\Phi[/itex] where [itex]\vec{E} = -\nabla \Phi[/itex]. This leads to the inhomogeneous elliptic PDE:
[tex]
\nabla \cdot (\sigma \cdot \nabla \Phi) = f
[/tex]
where the right hand side [itex]f[/itex] is known and is [itex]f = \nabla \cdot (\sigma \cdot \vec{U} \times \vec{B})[/itex].

Now my question relates to how to express the boundary conditions. Many existing PDE software require inputs of Robin-type boundary conditions, which would be of the form:
[tex]
a \Phi + b \hat{n} \cdot \nabla \Phi = g
[/tex]

For my particular problem, I am using a spherical region
[tex]
\Omega = [r_1,r_2] \times [\theta_1,\theta_2] \times [0, 2 \pi]
[/tex]
which is like a spherical shell with the top and bottom cut off at some [itex]\theta_1,\theta_2[/itex]

Now I know that at the lower boundary,
[tex]
\vec{J}(r_1,\theta,\phi) = 0
[/tex]
which means
[tex]
\sigma \cdot \nabla \Phi(r_1,\theta,\phi) = (\sigma \cdot (\vec{U} \times \vec{B}))(r_1,\theta,\phi) = g(r_1,\theta,\phi)
[/tex]
where [itex]g[/itex] is known

Your [itex]g[/itex] is a vector.

You need somehow to solve
[tex]
\sigma \cdot \nabla \Phi = \vec g
[/tex]
for the radial component of [itex]\nabla \Phi[/itex], which is [itex]\vec n \cdot \nabla\Phi[/itex] for this boundary. That in general is possible only if [itex]\sigma[/itex] is invertible on the boundary ([itex]\det \sigma \neq 0[/itex]), so that
[tex]
\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial r} = \hat r \cdot (\sigma^{-1} \cdot \vec g).
[/tex]

(Actually for [itex]r = r_1[/itex] we have [itex]\vec n \cdot \nabla\Phi = - \dfrac{\partial \Phi}{\partial r}[/itex], so on that boundary
[tex]
-\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial r} = \hat r \cdot (\sigma^{-1} \cdot \vec g)
[/tex]
and on [itex]r = r_2[/itex]
[tex]
\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial r} = \hat r \cdot (\sigma^{-1} \cdot \vec g).
[/tex]

Otherwise you may need to find a different solution method.

Related to Boundary conditions for inhomogeneous non-sepearable 3D PDE

1. What are boundary conditions for inhomogeneous non-separable 3D PDE?

Boundary conditions for inhomogeneous non-separable 3D PDE refer to the conditions set at the edges of a three-dimensional domain where the partial differential equation (PDE) is being solved. These conditions are used to specify the behavior of the solution at the boundaries and are essential for obtaining a unique solution to the PDE.

2. How are boundary conditions for inhomogeneous non-separable 3D PDE different from those for separable PDEs?

Boundary conditions for inhomogeneous non-separable 3D PDEs are different from those for separable PDEs in that they cannot be separated into individual boundary conditions for each variable. In other words, the boundary conditions for inhomogeneous non-separable 3D PDEs are dependent on all three variables (x, y, z) simultaneously, whereas separable PDEs have boundary conditions that are only dependent on one variable at a time.

3. Can boundary conditions be applied to all types of PDEs?

No, boundary conditions can only be applied to PDEs that have a well-defined boundary. PDEs that are defined on unbounded domains do not have boundary conditions.

4. What are the different types of boundary conditions?

The different types of boundary conditions include Dirichlet, Neumann, and Robin boundary conditions. Dirichlet boundary conditions specify the value of the solution at the boundary, Neumann boundary conditions specify the derivative of the solution at the boundary, and Robin boundary conditions specify a combination of the value and derivative of the solution at the boundary.

5. How do boundary conditions affect the solution of a PDE?

Boundary conditions are crucial in determining the uniqueness and behavior of the solution to a PDE. They restrict the solution to a specific region and can greatly influence the accuracy and stability of the solution. In some cases, the choice of boundary conditions can even determine the existence or non-existence of a solution.