Boundary condition between conductor and free-space

In summary, an electric field is set up inside the wire along the direction of the current flow, and is parallel to the wire. If this is true, then what I don't understand is the boundary condition tells me the tangential E-field is always continuous, if there is no E-field outside the wire, how come there will be E-field inside the wire? There must be some electric charge on the wire, and some electric field outside the wire. But isn't that those E-field outside is perpendicular to the wire?
yykcw
For an imperfect conductor, when there is current, an electric field is set up inside the wire along the direction of the current flow, and is parallel to the wire.
If this is true, then what I don't understand is
boundary condition tells me the tangential E-field is always continuous, if there is no E-field outside the wire, how come there will be E-field inside the wire?

Engineering news on Phys.org
There must be some electric charge on the wire, and some electric field outside the wire.
d46b953d19ec8ad255d2fc7ad1f4403d.png

But isn't that those E-field outside is perpendicular to the wire?
I don't understand why tangential E-field will exist outside.

yykcw said:
For an imperfect conductor, when there is current, an electric field is set up inside the wire along the direction of the current flow, and is parallel to the wire.
If this is true, then what I don't understand is
boundary condition tells me the tangential E-field is always continuous, if there is no E-field outside the wire, how come there will be E-field inside the wire?

I think this is your problem. Imo, there will be an E field outside the wire which, for a straight wire, between two large flat plates (the easiest example I can think of), will bt ΔV/x where ∇V is the voltage drop (imperfect wire) and x is the length.

The current density-J- in conductor includes only “free current density” since the polarization current is negligible then E=ρJ .That means in a conductor the electric field [intensity] E is parallel with current density –directed along the conductor.
Outside-in a dielectric as air or insulation-it is no free current then the field is oriented perpendicular to the conductor tangent. However, no tangent field exists- in my opinion-only an equipotential line follows the conductor outside surface.:shy:

Perhaps consider an extreme case...very high resistance wire (say 1Meg ohm) laying straight with high voltage source driving the ends against each other (say 1Meg V). You may agree that there will be a tangential E-field in the direction of the wire right?

Now just scale things down to uohms and volts.

Related to Boundary condition between conductor and free-space

1. What is a boundary condition between conductor and free-space?

The boundary condition between conductor and free-space is a physical phenomenon that occurs at the interface between a conductor (such as metal) and free-space (such as air). It describes the behavior of electromagnetic waves (such as light) as they encounter the boundary between these two materials.

2. Why is the boundary condition between conductor and free-space important?

The boundary condition is important because it helps us understand how electromagnetic waves behave at the interface between a conductor and free-space. This is crucial for many applications, such as designing antennas, microchips, and other electronic devices.

3. How does the boundary condition affect the reflection and transmission of electromagnetic waves?

The boundary condition affects the reflection and transmission of electromagnetic waves by determining the amount of energy that is reflected and transmitted at the interface between the conductor and free-space. It also affects the phase and polarization of the waves.

4. What is the difference between a perfect conductor and a perfect dielectric in terms of the boundary condition?

A perfect conductor is a material that has an infinite conductivity, which means that it completely reflects all incident electromagnetic waves. On the other hand, a perfect dielectric is a material with zero conductivity, which means that it allows all electromagnetic waves to pass through. The boundary condition between these two materials is different, and it depends on the angle of incidence of the electromagnetic waves.

5. How can the boundary condition between conductor and free-space be modified or manipulated?

The boundary condition can be modified or manipulated by changing the properties of the conductor or the free-space material. For example, by changing the conductivity of the conductor or the permittivity of the free-space, we can alter the reflection and transmission behavior of electromagnetic waves at the boundary.