Bound of Euler method- nonuniform partition

In summary, the conversation discusses the bound of error for the Euler method and uses a lemma to support the proof. It also brings up a concern about the use of $h_n$ in the formula for $y(t^{n+1})$ and concludes that it should be present at each step.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

Consider a nonuniform partition $a=t_0< t_1< \dots < t_{\nu}=b$ and assume that if $h_n=t^{n+1}-t^n, 0 \leq n \leq N-1 $ is the changeable step, then $\min_{n} h_n > \lambda \max_{n} h_n, \lambda>0$ independent of $n$.
Show a bound of the error of Euler method analogous to

$$||y^n-y(t^n)|| \leq h c_1 \frac{e^{L(t^n-a)}}{2L} \max_{t \in [a,t^n]} ||y^{(2)} (t)||$$

where $h=\max_{n} h_n$.

According to my lecture notes:We will use the following lemma:

Let $\delta$ be a positive number and $K, d_0, d_1, \dots$ non-negative numbers such that

$$d_{i+1} \leq (1+ \delta) d_i+K, i=0,1, \dots$$

Then it holds

$$d_n \leq e^{n \delta} d_0+ K \frac{e^{n \delta}-1}{\delta}, n=0,1,2, \dots$$

$$\left\{\begin{matrix}
y^{n+1}=y^n+h_n f(t^n,y^n) &, n=0,1, \dots, N-1 \\
y^0=y(0) &
\end{matrix}\right.$$

Expanding $y$ with Taylor, we have:

$$y(t^{n+1})=y(t^n)+ h_n y'(t^n)+ \frac{h^2}{2} y''(\xi_n), \xi_n \in (t^n, t^{n+1})$$

From the differential equation we have:

$$y(t^{n+1})=y(t^n)+ h_n f(t^n, y(t^n))+ \frac{h^2}{2} y''(\xi_n), \xi_n \in (t^n, t^{n+1})$$

$$y(t^{n+1})-y^{n+1}=y(t^n)-y^n+h_n [f(t^n, y(t^n))-f(t^n,y^n)]+ \frac{h h_n}{2} y''( \xi_n)$$

$$\epsilon^{n+1}= \epsilon^n+ h_n [f(t^n, y(t^n))-f(t^n,y^n)]+ \frac{h h_n}{2} y''(\xi_n)$$

and so on...

Why is it as follows?

$$y(t^{n+1})=y(t^n)+ h_n y'(t^n)+ \frac{h^2}{2} y''(\xi_n), \xi_n \in (t^n, t^{n+1})$$Shouldn't we have $h_n$ at each point where we have the step, i.e. shouldn't it be as follows?

$$y(t^{n+1})=y(t^n)+ h_n y'(t^n)+ \frac{h_n^2}{2} y''(\xi_n), \xi_n \in (t^n, t^{n+1})$$

Or am I wrong? (Worried)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey! (Mmm)

evinda said:
Shouldn't we have $h_n$ at each point where we have the step, i.e. shouldn't it be as follows?

$$y(t^{n+1})=y(t^n)+ h_n y'(t^n)+ \frac{h_n^2}{2} y''(\xi_n), \xi_n \in (t^n, t^{n+1})$$

Or am I wrong? (Worried)

You're right. Looks like a bit of sloppiness. (Nod)

Related to Bound of Euler method- nonuniform partition

1. What is the Euler method used for?

The Euler method is a numerical method used to approximate the solutions of ordinary differential equations. It is commonly used in scientific and engineering applications where analytical solutions are not possible.

2. How does the Euler method work?

The Euler method works by breaking down a continuous function into smaller intervals and approximating the function's value at each interval using the slope of the function at the beginning of the interval. The smaller the interval, the more accurate the approximation.

3. What is a nonuniform partition in the context of the Euler method?

A nonuniform partition refers to an interval where the distance between each point is not equal. In the context of the Euler method, a nonuniform partition means that the interval between each approximation point is not constant.

4. Why is a nonuniform partition useful in the Euler method?

A nonuniform partition can be useful in the Euler method because it allows for a more accurate approximation of the function. It can also reduce the number of calculations needed compared to a uniform partition, making it more efficient.

5. What are some limitations of the Euler method with a nonuniform partition?

One limitation of using a nonuniform partition in the Euler method is that it may not accurately capture the behavior of the function in areas with steep slopes or sharp changes. Additionally, a nonuniform partition may require more complex calculations compared to a uniform partition, making it more challenging to implement.