Bound charges and electric displacement.

In summary, the surface bound charge for a wire with a smaller radius is negative, while for a wire with a larger radius, the surface bound charge is positive.
-Dragoon-

Homework Statement

A certain coaxial cable consists of copper wire, radius a, surrounded by a concentric copper wire of outer radius b. The space between is filled with a dielectric with a relative permittivity of [tex]\epsilon_{r} = \frac{s}{a}, a \leq s \leq b[/tex] Find the bound charges by using two different methods.

The Attempt at a Solution

First I'll find the electric displacement, the field, and the potential:

[tex]\oint D\cdot da = Q_{f_{enc.}} => D(2\pi sl) = Q =>D = \frac{Q}{2\pi sl}[/tex]

Then I find the field from the displacement:

[tex]E = \frac{D}{\epsilon} = \frac{D}{\epsilon_{0} \epsilon_{r}} = \frac{a}{s^{2}}\frac{Q}{2\pi \epsilon_0 l}[/tex]

Then, finally, the potential:

[tex] -\int_s^a E\cdot dI = \frac{Qa}{2\pi \epsilon_0 l}\int_a^s \frac{ds}{s^{2}} = \frac{Qa}{2\pi \epsilon_{0} l}(\frac{1}{a} - \frac{1}{s})[/tex]

Now for the bound charges:

[tex]P = D - \epsilon_{0}E = \frac{Q}{2\pi sl}\hat{r} - \frac{a}{s^{2}}\frac{Q}{2\pi l}\hat{r} = \frac{Q}{2\pi l} = \frac{Q}{2\pi l}(\frac{1}{s} - \frac{a}{s^{2}})\hat{r} [/tex]

The surface bound charge is:
[tex]\sigma_{b} = P\cdot\hat{n} = \frac{Q}{2\pi l}(\frac{1}{s} - \frac{a}{s^{2}})[/tex]

Now, when I calculate it using a different method which involves the potential:

[tex]\sigma_{b} = -\epsilon_{0}( \frac{\partial V_{out}}{\partial s} - \frac{\partial V_{in}}{\partial s}) = -\epsilon_{0}(\frac{Q}{2\pi \epsilon_{0} l}\frac{a}{s^{2}} - 0) = -\frac{Q}{2\pi l}\frac{a}{s^{2}}[/tex]

Which gives one of the terms correctly, but the other term is clearly missing from here. Any hints on where I'm going wrong in this? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
-Dragoon- said:
The surface bound charge is:
[tex]\sigma_{b} = P\cdot\hat{n} = \frac{Q}{2\pi l}(\frac{1}{s} - \frac{a}{s^{2}})[/tex]

Shouldn't the bound surface charge only be defined for s = a or s = b?

Also, there will be a bound volume charge density ρb for a < s < b.

TSny said:
Shouldn't the bound surface charge only be defined for s = a or s = b?

Also, there will be a bound volume charge density ρb for a < s < b.

Interesting, so then for s = a, the bound charges are zero? And for s = b, we have:

[tex]\sigma_{b} = - \frac{Q}{2\pi l}(\frac{1}{b} - \frac{a}{b^{2}})[/tex]

Yes, that looks right to me, except I get the opposite sign. I guess the sign depends on which conductor carries positive Q.

Likes 1 person
TSny said:
Yes, that looks right to me, except I get the opposite sign. I guess the sign depends on which conductor carries positive Q.

Alright I see, thanks for the help once again, TSny.

Related to Bound charges and electric displacement.

1. What are bound charges?

Bound charges are electric charges that are present on the surface of a material due to the alignment of its internal dipoles in the presence of an external electric field.

2. How are bound charges different from free charges?

Bound charges are different from free charges in that they are not able to move freely within a material. They are confined to the surface and are not able to contribute to the flow of electric current.

3. What is electric displacement?

Electric displacement is a vector quantity that represents the amount of electric flux per unit area passing through a given point in a material. It is defined as the sum of the free charges and the bound charges within a material.

4. How are bound charges and electric displacement related?

Bound charges and electric displacement are closely related as the electric displacement is directly proportional to the bound charges present in a material. This means that an increase in bound charges will result in an increase in electric displacement.

5. How do bound charges and electric displacement affect the behavior of electric fields in materials?

Bound charges and electric displacement play a significant role in modifying the behavior of electric fields in materials. They can cause changes in the magnitude and direction of electric fields, as well as the energy stored in these fields.