Bosons at very high temperature

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of particles in a Bose-Einstein condensate at varying temperatures. It is stated that the condensate exists at very low temperatures, but at higher temperatures, the particles transition to another state. The question is then posed about what happens to the particles if the temperature approaches infinity, with the response being that there is no higher energy state within the condensate and at high enough temperatures, there will be no particles in the condensate state.
Magnetic Boy
Will all particles be in excited state in boson condensate if temperature approach infinity?

Science news on Phys.org
I believe you only have a bose-einstein condensate at very, very low temperatures. Beyond this the particles transition to another state.

Drakkith said:
I believe you only have a bose-einstein condensate at very, very low temperatures. Beyond this the particles transition to another state.
Ok thanks. But what if temperature is below critical temperatute?? Will all particles will come to ground state?? I mean all particles!

Drakkith said:
Suppose we have created bose einstein condensate. Now we increase the temperature approaching infinity. Will all particle reside in excited state?

I really can't say. I would expect so, as it would seem to be a requirement that in order for the condensate to undergo a phase transition all the particles would need to be excited to other states. But I know very little about the details of bose-einstein condensates.

Magnetic Boy said:
Suppose we have created bose einstein condensate. Now we increase the temperature approaching infinity. Will all particle reside in excited state?

Your series of question is rather puzzling.

You seem to think that there is this various levels of energy within the BE condensate, very much like the energy levels in an atom. Can you tell me where you got such information from?

As the temperature of the condensate gets higher, there will be less number of particles that are in the BE state. At some point, if the temperature is high enough, there will be none. There are no "higher energy state" within the BE condensate.

Zz.

Related to Bosons at very high temperature

1. What are bosons and how are they different from other particles?

Bosons are one of the two main categories of subatomic particles, the other being fermions. They are characterized by having integer spin, and they follow Bose-Einstein statistics. This means that multiple bosons can occupy the same quantum state, unlike fermions which follow the Pauli exclusion principle.

2. What happens to bosons at very high temperatures?

At very high temperatures, bosons can undergo a phase transition known as Bose-Einstein condensation. This is when a large number of bosons occupy the same quantum state, forming a macroscopic quantum state. This phenomenon has been observed in ultra-cold gases of bosonic particles.

3. How does the behavior of bosons at high temperatures affect our understanding of the early universe?

In the early universe, the temperature was extremely high and particles were in a state of thermal equilibrium. As the universe expanded and cooled, bosons could undergo Bose-Einstein condensation, leading to the formation of large-scale structures such as galaxies and galaxy clusters. The study of bosons at high temperatures can help us understand the dynamics of the universe in its early stages.

4. Can bosons at high temperatures be used for practical applications?

Yes, bosons at high temperatures have been harnessed for practical applications such as superconductivity and superfluidity. Superconductors and superfluids are materials that have zero electrical resistance and zero viscosity, respectively. This behavior is a result of the condensation of bosons at very low temperatures.

5. What current research is being done on bosons at high temperatures?

Scientists are currently studying the behavior of bosons at high temperatures in various systems, such as ultra-cold atomic gases, in order to better understand their properties and potential applications. Additionally, research is being done on the role of bosons in the early universe and their impact on the formation of large-scale structures. There is also ongoing research on using bosons at high temperatures for quantum computing and other technological advancements.