Bose-Einstein Statistics: Finding W.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the W values for 6 different macrostates from N1=4, N2=0 to N1=0, N2=4 in a system with 4 particles divided among 2 zones. The relevant equation for finding W is W=(g+Ni-1)!/(g-1)!Ni!, and a block diagram can also be used to visualize the different particle distributions and calculate the corresponding W values. There are six W values to be found, with the first and fifth values being W=6!/2!4!=15 and W=5!/1!4!=5, respectively.
atomicpedals

Homework Statement

Given 4 particles to be divided among 2 zones, one of 3 cells and one of 2 cells. For B-E statistics find W for each macrostate from N1=4, N2=0 to N1=0, N2=4, using both the formula and block diagram.

Homework Equations

The relevant equation is W=(g+Ni-1)!/(g-1)!Ni!

The Attempt at a Solution

There are, I believe, five W's to be found. I've found the first one fairly quickly; W=6!/2!4!=15, and I think I found the fifth one as well, W=5!/1!4!=5. However the possible results in between seem to escape me even though it should be fairly trivial! Am I approaching the problem correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. It seems like you are on the right track with finding the first and fifth W values. However, there are actually six W values to be found, as there are six different macrostates from N1=4, N2=0 to N1=0, N2=4.

To find the remaining W values, you can use the same formula you used for the first and fifth values, but with different values for g and Ni. For example, for the second macrostate (N1=3, N2=1), the formula would be W=(g+Ni-1)!/(g-1)!Ni!= 5!/2!3!=10.

Alternatively, you can also use a block diagram to visualize the different ways the particles can be distributed among the two zones. This can help you to see all the possible combinations and calculate the corresponding W values.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your calculations!

Scientist

Related to Bose-Einstein Statistics: Finding W.

1. What is Bose-Einstein Statistics?

Bose-Einstein Statistics is a type of statistical mechanics that describes the behavior of a large number of bosons, which are particles with integer spin. It was developed by Satyendra Nath Bose and Albert Einstein in the 1920s and is one of the two main statistical models used to understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

2. How is Bose-Einstein Statistics different from other statistical models?

Bose-Einstein Statistics is different from other statistical models, such as Maxwell-Boltzmann Statistics and Fermi-Dirac Statistics, in that it allows for particles to occupy the same quantum state. This phenomenon is known as Bose-Einstein condensation and is responsible for the unique behavior of bosons at low temperatures.

3. What is the significance of Bose-Einstein Statistics in physics?

Bose-Einstein Statistics is significant in physics because it helps us understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level, where classical mechanics no longer applies. It has played a crucial role in the development of fields such as solid-state physics, superconductivity, and quantum optics.

4. How is W calculated in Bose-Einstein Statistics?

In Bose-Einstein Statistics, W (also known as the degeneracy factor) represents the number of ways that a particular state can be occupied by a certain number of particles. It can be calculated using the formula W = (N+M-1)! / (N!(M-1)!), where N is the number of particles and M is the number of available states.

5. What are the applications of Bose-Einstein Statistics?

Bose-Einstein Statistics has various applications in different fields of physics, such as in understanding the behavior of particles in superfluids and superconductors, as well as in the study of black holes and the early universe. It also has practical applications in the development of technologies such as lasers and transistors.