Bose Einstein Condensate For Oxygen 16 and Oxygen 18

In summary, Bose Einstein Condensate (BEC) is a state of matter that occurs at extremely low temperatures and is formed when a gas of bosons, a type of particle with integer spin, is cooled. Oxygen 16 and Oxygen 18 are potential candidates for forming BEC due to their bosonic nature. BEC made from these two isotopes would have unique properties due to their differences in mass, and could have applications in quantum computing, precision measurements, and quantum simulations. However, creating and controlling BEC with Oxygen 16 and Oxygen 18 can be challenging and technically difficult due to the extremely low temperatures required.
James Essig
TL;DR Summary
I am interested in whether or not Bose Einstein condensates have been realized for spin zero stable oxygen isotopes.
I am interested in whether or not Bose Einstein condensates have been realized for spin zero stable oxygen isotopes and if so, the maximum density achieved for these condensates. I understand that the quantum spins of oxygen 16 and oxygen 18 are both zero so such condensates would seem to be possible. Anyone have any assistance to offer to let me know if my assertions are correct. Thanks.

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
Not to my knowledge. Laser cooling of oxygen is not trivial and would require lasers in the deep UV, which presents a difficulty in itself.

1. What is Bose Einstein Condensate (BEC)?

Bose Einstein Condensate is a state of matter that occurs at extremely low temperatures, near absolute zero. In this state, a large number of particles, typically atoms, behave as a single quantum entity.

2. How is BEC created?

BEC is created by cooling a gas of atoms to a temperature close to absolute zero, typically using lasers and magnetic fields. This causes the atoms to slow down and eventually merge into a single entity with unique properties.

3. What is the significance of Oxygen 16 and Oxygen 18 in BEC?

Oxygen 16 and Oxygen 18 are isotopes of oxygen that have different numbers of neutrons in their nuclei. These isotopes have slightly different masses, which can affect their behavior in BEC and provide insights into fundamental physics.

4. What are the properties of BEC for Oxygen 16 and Oxygen 18?

In BEC, both Oxygen 16 and Oxygen 18 exhibit superfluidity, meaning they can flow without any resistance. They also have a high degree of coherence, meaning their wavefunctions are in sync, allowing for precise measurements and control.

5. How is BEC for Oxygen 16 and Oxygen 18 used in research?

BEC for Oxygen 16 and Oxygen 18 has been used in various research fields, such as quantum computing, precision measurements, and studying quantum phase transitions. It also provides insights into the behavior of other systems, such as superconductors and neutron stars.