What are the forces and connections in this roof truss?

In summary: If these are the only restraints on the member, then the weight of the AC would have to be 900N to cause the pivot.
exequor
The diagram for this quesion is at http://www.drewtemp.com/helios/physics.gif

The first thing that i did was that i made the free body diagram. From my knowledge i would say that AB and BC are in compression and AC is in tension (i think that is correct). Now the question asked to take moments at B for finding the force in AC whether it be tension or compression, however when i do that it seems like the forces just cancel off each other, and that is where i am stuck

Here is the link for my free body diagram: http://www.drewtemp.com/helios/physics_freebody.gif

1. What i want to find is which members are in tension and compression (AB, BC, AC)?

2. What is the force at AC? The weight of AC is negligible.

3. What force from the left (the wind) is required to make the truss pivot at C?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This should be in the homework help section.

What kind of restraints do the connections at points A and C have? How far up the truss are the two loads? Midpoints?

"Stresses in Framed Structures," Hool and Kinne; you might get lucky and it'll still be in your school library --- this is an old-timer's book, but does an understandable job of detailing the tension-compression question for truss members.

Hi cipher, got your PM. It's best to respond in the thread for homework problems. That way, anyone can respond.

If the two joints are pinned at A and C, then you've got an overdetermined problem, and there is most likely no force in AC (although you can't solve it because it's statically indeterminate). If one is pinned and one has a roller, then the problem is different. What type of connections do you have?

the connections are unknown however it is stated that the weight of AC is negligible. there is a force of 900N because i got the question from a book and that is what they had as the answer. another part of the question goes on to say that it has to pivot at C so i don't know if they are implying that c is the only fixed which is so not real...

Originally posted by cipher
the connections are unknown

The connections have to be known if you are going to solve the problem. Look carefully at the drawing in the book. One will be a pin, and one will be a roller, most likely.

1. What is equilibrium in a roof truss?

Equilibrium in a roof truss refers to a state where all the forces acting on the truss are balanced, resulting in a stable structure that can support its own weight and any additional loads.

2. How is equilibrium achieved in a roof truss?

Equilibrium in a roof truss is achieved by ensuring that the sum of all the forces acting on the truss is equal to zero. This can be achieved by carefully designing and constructing the truss with proper load distribution and support.

3. What factors affect equilibrium in a roof truss?

There are several factors that can affect equilibrium in a roof truss, including the weight and distribution of the roof itself, any additional loads such as snow or wind, the design and construction of the truss, and the quality of the materials used.

4. Why is equilibrium important in a roof truss?

Equilibrium is crucial in a roof truss because an unbalanced or unstable truss can lead to structural failure, which can be dangerous and costly. Achieving equilibrium ensures the safety and stability of the structure.

5. How can equilibrium be maintained in a roof truss?

Equilibrium can be maintained in a roof truss by regularly inspecting and maintaining the structure, ensuring proper load distribution, and using high-quality materials and construction techniques. In the event of damage or changes in load, adjustments should be made to maintain equilibrium.