Borax + Vinegar: What's the Reaction?

• Thread starter Aldhin
  • Start date
In summary, the question is about the reaction that occurs when adding borax to vinegar and whether it will result in a weaker acid or base. The pH of the resulting solution will depend on the amounts of both substances and their dissociation constants. However, mixing borax with vinegar for a cleaning solution will result in a neutral solution, rather than a stronger acid or base. This information was provided in response to a question about the mixture of borax and vinegar in homemade household cleaners.
Aldhin
Hi. I arrived at this question because I found a some sites offering supposed homemade household cleaner mixtures but was concerned that the ingredients may counteract each other. I was warned for posting this in the Chemistry discussion forum, but the question is not related to coursework.

Homework Statement

I was wondering what mixture results when adding Borax to Vinegar, and what reaction if any occurs.

Homework Equations

Borax - Na2 B4 O7
Acetic acid - C2 H4 O2
1 tsp borax
2 tsp vinegar

The Attempt at a Solution

My guess is that the low pH of the acetic acid will be partially neutralized by the high pH of the borax. The resulting mixture would be a weaker acid or a weaker base, depending on whether an excess of borax or an excess of vinegar was present.

In a related question, I'd be curious to know how to figure out which product would be favored in this reaction, and possibly what the pH of the resulting solution would be.

Physics news on Phys.org
Aldhin said:
My guess is that the low pH of the acetic acid will be partially neutralized by the high pH of the borax.

Correct.

Similar reaction (between borax and hydrochloric acid) is used to standardize solutions used in acid-base titration.

Final pH depends on exact amounts of both borax and the acid, and on their dissociation constants.

And I agree with your sentiment that mixing borax with acetic acid to produce a better cleaning solution is counterproductive - actually what you will get will have neither low pH of vinegar nor high pH of borax, it will be relatively close to neutral.

Related to Borax + Vinegar: What's the Reaction?

1. What is the chemical reaction between borax and vinegar?

The chemical reaction between borax and vinegar is an acid-base reaction. Borax, also known as sodium borate, is a weak base while vinegar, or acetic acid, is a weak acid. When mixed together, the borax reacts with the acetic acid to form a salt, water, and carbon dioxide gas.

2. What happens when you mix borax and vinegar?

When borax and vinegar are mixed, a chemical reaction occurs resulting in the formation of a salt, water, and carbon dioxide gas. The carbon dioxide gas is what causes the bubbling or fizzing sensation that is often observed when these two substances are combined.

3. Is the reaction between borax and vinegar exothermic or endothermic?

The reaction between borax and vinegar is exothermic, meaning it releases energy in the form of heat. This can be observed by feeling the warmth of the mixture after the reaction has occurred. This is due to the breaking and making of chemical bonds during the reaction.

4. What is the purpose of using borax and vinegar together?

Borax and vinegar are often used together in cleaning products as they have complementary properties. The borax acts as a mild abrasive, while the vinegar acts as a disinfectant. When combined, they can effectively remove stains and kill bacteria.

5. Is it safe to mix borax and vinegar?

Yes, it is generally safe to mix borax and vinegar, as long as proper precautions are taken. Both substances are considered safe for household use, but it is important to avoid inhaling or ingesting the mixture. It is also recommended to wear gloves and protective eyewear when handling borax and vinegar together.