Boosting FM Band Signals with High Speed Buffers: Op Amp Suggestions?

In summary: I'm not familiar with current feedback amplifiers, but I'd be surprised if these factors can be dismissed.In summary, the author is running simulations and creating a BPF around the FM band and when he measures the signal on the output it's much lower than his original signal. He thought if he put a buffer between the LPF and HPF to electrically isolate the circuits this would help but it didn't appear to be any improvement. The buffer he is using (LT1395) is not fast enough, and might be the reason why the output looks more "messed up". He wants to build this circuit but wants to make sure the simulation works first. The simulation is only a 1V signal but real application would
amanno
Hey guys,

So I have been running some simulations where I am creating a BPF around the FM band and when I measure the signal on the output, it's much lower than my original signal. So I thought if I put a buffer between the LPF and HPF to electrically isolate the circuits this would help, but it didn't appear to be any improvement. In fact it just seemed to make the output look more "messed up". My only guess is that the buffer I am using (LT1395) is not fast enough? Any ideas?

Does anyone have any favorite high speed op amps (buffers) they use for the FM band (~100 MHz) or above?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
amanno said:
Hey guys,

So I have been running some simulations where I am creating a BPF around the FM band and when I measure the signal on the output, it's much lower than my original signal. So I thought if I put a buffer between the LPF and HPF to electrically isolate the circuits this would help, but it didn't appear to be any improvement. In fact it just seemed to make the output look more "messed up". My only guess is that the buffer I am using (LT1395) is not fast enough? Any ideas?

Does anyone have any favorite high speed op amps (buffers) they use for the FM band (~100 MHz) or above?

Thanks

This is all in simulation, or have you actually built this on a PCB or breadboard?

That is a pretty fast opamp for small signals. What size signal are you running through your filter? Can you post your whole circuit diagram as a PDF or screenshot?

Right now it is all simulation but I would like to build it but wanted to make sure the simulation worked first.
The simulation is only a 1V signal but real application would be a bit larger (5V). I did 1V in the simulation because I wanted to verify the -3dB point was were I wanted it to be, but it never actually reaches -3dB, the highest I see is -9 dB. I have attached the circuit.

Attachments

• BPF.PNG
    BPF.PNG
    2.7 KB · Views: 463
I'd suggest just testing the buffer circuit by itself first, so you can characterize its performance versus frequency and versus input signal amplitude.

If you just drive it with the AC source and monitor its output voltage, what do you get for a small 10mV input signal? What about 100mV and 1V?

At first glance I'm wondering about the practicality of some component choices. For example, you show a 1.47pF in your LP stage, but was this determined having in mind the 2pF (typ) input capacitance of the 1395? Similar considerations pertain to HP component choice, so that you'll probably need another buffer at the output. I'm not familiar with current feedback amplifiers, but I'd be surprised if these factors can be dismissed.

Good luck with your experimenting.

For the information of others, a LT1395 datasheet not requiring a pdf viewer is available here: http://www.datasheetlib.com/datasheet/225628/lt1395_linear-technology.html

I would recommend sticking to a 50 ohm environment: Design your LPF and HPF with 50 ohm matched inputs/outputs, and for buffering use an RF gain block such as the Minicircuits ERA-3 (very nice flat response from DC to 3GHz, 2.7dB noise figure, for $1.50).

Likes davenn

Related to Boosting FM Band Signals with High Speed Buffers: Op Amp Suggestions?

1. What is the purpose of boosting FM band signals with high speed buffers?

The purpose of boosting FM band signals with high speed buffers is to improve the quality and strength of the signal being received. This can help reduce interference and static, resulting in a clearer and more reliable FM radio signal.

2. How do high speed buffers work to boost FM band signals?

High speed buffers work by amplifying the FM signal, increasing its strength and making it less susceptible to noise and interference. They also have a fast response time, allowing them to quickly process the signal and improve its overall quality.

3. What type of op amp is recommended for boosting FM band signals?

For boosting FM band signals, it is recommended to use a high speed op amp with a wide bandwidth and low noise characteristics. Examples of op amps that are commonly used for this purpose include the LMH6702, AD8009, and LT1028.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to using high speed buffers for FM band signal boosting?

One potential drawback of using high speed buffers for FM band signal boosting is that they can introduce distortion if not properly configured. Additionally, they may also cause additional power consumption and generate heat, which could be a concern in certain applications.

5. Are there any alternative methods for boosting FM band signals?

Yes, there are alternative methods for boosting FM band signals, such as using a directional antenna or a signal amplifier. However, these methods may not be as effective as using high speed buffers, as they may not address issues with noise and interference in the same way.