Boosting Chances for Masters in Medical Physics at SDSU

• Thread starter Lawrencel2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chances
In summary, the author is a student who is not enjoying their classes and is considering a different path for their education. They are considering a masters degree in Medical Physics at SDSU. They note that the program is competitive and that taking more applied physics courses may help increase their chances. There is limited information available about graduate schools and what is required, but the author is hoping for feedback from others.
Lawrencel2
Hey all, I am just about a senior at a northern California university. I am going for a BS in the Advanced Physics area. I have a 3.2 right now and I am not too proud of it. I have been involved in one project/paper with my professor for an AAPT national meeting in Philly. But I feel like I'm losing interest in my classes, now that I'm in Quantum and E&m, due to the time commitment and its killing my motivation/passion.

Either way though, I am going to graduate soon and I was thinking about going for a masters at SDSU in Medical Physics (They are also CAMPEP accredited).I have no idea how selective the program is, but I was hoping to get into something a bit more applied and with a more direct impact on society, and my grades probably aren't nearly good enough for Med school.

Is there things I should be doing to increase my chances? Like Becoming Applied Physics? I was thinking optics/Lasers would be a bit more useful than two semesters of Quantum in this field.
Is there a way to look at what the average student in that department has when entering the school?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know much about the SDSU program, although a friend of mine is a professor there and I know he would make a good supervisor. Most (all?) accredited medical physics programs are quite competative. I don't know what that means in terms of GPA exactly, but meeting the minimum criteria is definitely not a guarantee of getting in.

Taking more applied physics type courses is a good idea if you have the option. Most medical physics work isn't too heavy on quantum. Courses that I would recommend include any kind of image or signal processing, mathematical methods, computational physics, a senior lab course, nuclear physics, optics, and electrodynamics. I personally wouldn't avoid a senior quantum course entirely either, but it wouldn't get that high of a priority.

Is there a way to get a more detailed description of the level i need to be at to stand a good chance? I want to stay in california if possible.. I have the more theoretical option a my school, which is basically upper division E&m Quantum and Thermo.

If I go applied I will have to take an optics, lasers, and computational class. I have already done one semester of E&M and one of Quantum. Did my modern physics courses as well.

I have little knowledge of graduate schools or what is required so i guess I am starting to freak out! I want to get a good job when i leave graduate school and i know now that pure physics is looking bad.

Im hoping for a bit more feedback from some others please :]

I understand your concerns about your GPA and the competitiveness of the program you are interested in. Here are a few things you can do to boost your chances for a masters in Medical Physics at SDSU:

1. Focus on improving your GPA: While a 3.2 GPA is not ideal, it is also not a deal-breaker. You still have time to improve your grades in your remaining classes and show your commitment to your studies. Additionally, you can consider retaking some courses to improve your GPA.

2. Get involved in more research projects: Your involvement in one project/paper with your professor is a great start, but it would be beneficial to have more research experience. This will not only show your interest and dedication to the field but also provide you with valuable skills and knowledge.

3. Network with professors and professionals in the field: Reach out to professors at SDSU and other professionals in the field of Medical Physics. Attend conferences, workshops, and seminars to network and learn more about the field. This will not only give you a better understanding of the program but also help you make connections that could potentially improve your chances of getting accepted.

4. Consider taking relevant courses: While a BS in Advanced Physics is a strong foundation, taking some courses in Applied Physics, optics, and lasers can give you a better understanding of the field and make you a more competitive applicant.

5. Research the program and its requirements: Make sure you thoroughly research the program and its requirements. This will give you a better understanding of what the average student in the program has when entering the school and what they are looking for in applicants.

Overall, it is important to remember that your GPA is not the only factor that determines your acceptance into a program. Your research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statement also play a significant role. Stay focused, continue to pursue your interests, and put your best foot forward in your application. Best of luck to you!

Related to Boosting Chances for Masters in Medical Physics at SDSU

1. What are the minimum requirements for admission to the Masters in Medical Physics program at SDSU?

The minimum requirements for admission to the Masters in Medical Physics program at SDSU include a bachelor's degree in physics, engineering, or a related field, a strong background in mathematics and physics courses, and a minimum GPA of 3.0. Additionally, applicants must submit GRE scores and letters of recommendation.

2. Is work experience required for admission to the program?

No, work experience is not required for admission to the program. However, relevant work experience in the field of medical physics may strengthen an applicant's application.

3. How competitive is the admissions process for the Masters in Medical Physics program at SDSU?

The admissions process for the Masters in Medical Physics program at SDSU is highly competitive. The program typically receives a large number of qualified applicants each year and only admits a limited number of students.

4. Are there any specific courses or experiences that can increase my chances of being accepted into the program?

While there are no specific courses or experiences that guarantee acceptance into the program, having a strong background in physics and mathematics courses, as well as relevant research or work experience in medical physics, can increase your chances of being accepted.

5. Is financial aid available for students in the Masters in Medical Physics program at SDSU?

Yes, financial aid is available for students in the Masters in Medical Physics program at SDSU. The program offers a limited number of teaching and research assistantships, as well as scholarships and fellowships. Students can also apply for external funding opportunities such as grants and loans.