Boolean circuit electrical engg 2nd year

In summary: I think the earliest PLA's were like this.Can anyone help me make a circuit for the following boolean equation with only AND and OR gates: c'd+bd+b'cd'+ab'dIn summary, the conversation is about someone needing help with a question for a lab due tomorrow. They have provided an equation and are struggling to make the circuit using only AND and OR gates. The conversation also mentions the use of inverters, and that NAND and NOR gates are also allowed.
desidriver
hi everyone i have a lab due tomorrow and wondering if someone can help me with question b. See attachment. I have done the k graph and got my boolean equation

c'd+bd+b'cd'+ab'd. i just simply can't make the circuit.
i have to use only and or gates.
can someone please help

Not sure if you can view the attachment. if you can't i have uploaded alternate links

http://i46.tinypic.com/wtt7a8.png

http://s9.postimage.org/vwyydvd7z/Sc...1_07_05_PM.png

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
c'd+bd+b'cd'+ab'd. i just simply can't make the circuit.
i have to use only and or gates.

The problem actually says inverters are allowed as well. So you can also use NAND and NOR gates if you wish (eg make a NAND from an AND and an inverter, however you may not actually need a NAND gate).

CWatters said:
The problem actually says inverters are allowed as well. So you can also use NAND and NOR gates if you wish (eg make a NAND from an AND and an inverter, however you may not actually need a NAND gate).

Of course, you never need a NAND gate since the three (AND OR NOT) are sufficient for any logical expression. I guess the interesting thing about that is that NAND's and NOR's each by themselves are also sufficient.

Indeed. Many early gate arrays were nothing but a sea of one type of gate.

for reaching out for help with your lab. I understand the importance of seeking assistance when facing challenges in your work. Based on the boolean equation you have provided, it seems like you are working on a combinational logic circuit with four inputs (a, b, c, and d) and two outputs (x and y).

To create the circuit using only AND and OR gates, you will first need to simplify the boolean expression. This will help reduce the number of gates needed and make the circuit easier to design. One approach to simplifying the expression is by using the Boolean algebra laws and the K-map you have already created. Once you have simplified the expression, you can proceed with designing the circuit.

Here are a few tips to help you in designing the circuit:

1. Start by identifying the inputs and outputs of the circuit. In this case, a, b, c, and d are the inputs and x and y are the outputs.

2. Draw a truth table to represent all the possible combinations of inputs and the corresponding outputs.

3. Use the simplified boolean expression to determine the logic gates needed for each output. For example, if the simplified expression for x is a OR b, then you will need one OR gate for x.

4. Draw the circuit diagram using the identified logic gates. Remember to label the inputs and outputs correctly.

5. Double-check your design and make any necessary adjustments.

I hope these tips will help you in creating the circuit for your lab. If you are still facing difficulties, don't hesitate to reach out for further assistance. Good luck with your lab!

Related to Boolean circuit electrical engg 2nd year

1. What is a Boolean circuit in electrical engineering?

A Boolean circuit is an electronic circuit that performs logical operations based on Boolean algebra. It uses binary inputs (0 and 1) to produce binary outputs, making it an essential component in digital electronics.

2. How does a Boolean circuit work?

A Boolean circuit consists of different logic gates such as AND, OR, and NOT gates, which are connected in a specific way to perform logical operations. The inputs and outputs are represented by binary digits, and the output is determined by the input values and the type of gate used.

3. What is the importance of Boolean circuits in electrical engineering?

Boolean circuits are crucial in the design and implementation of digital systems. They are used in various applications, including computer processors, memory units, and communication systems, as they allow for complex logical operations to be performed efficiently and accurately.

4. What are some common applications of Boolean circuits?

Some common applications of Boolean circuits include digital signal processing, microcontrollers, and computer memory. They are also used in electronic devices such as calculators, smartphones, and digital cameras.

5. How does Boolean circuit design differ from traditional circuit design?

Boolean circuit design involves the use of logical operations and Boolean algebra, while traditional circuit design focuses on the use of analog components and continuous signals. Additionally, Boolean circuits require precise control of input signals, whereas traditional circuits can tolerate some degree of variation.