Boolean algebra- cancellation property of addition

In summary, the problem involves proving that for all boolean algebras, if x+y=x+z and x'+y = x'+z, then y=z. This is the second part of a problem where the first part required giving an example where x+y=x+z does not hold. The approach of cancelling x on both sides does not work, but multiplying the two equations together yields a solution.
oneGirlArmy
1. Prove that for all boolean algebras if x+y=x+z and x'+y = x'+z then y=z.

2. Homework Equations : x+x' = 1, xx'=0, basically we are allowed to use the usual boolean algebra properties.

3.Attempt: This the second part of a problem, in the first part we had to give and example of why x+y=x+z does not hold for all boolean algebras. Therefore this problem does not allow for cancellation of x on both sides to arrive at y=z. I have tried adding the LHS and RHS of both equations together to get x+x'+y+y = x+ x' +z+z which reduces to 1+y=1+z but I can't subtract the one from both sides in boolean algebra and I can't find a logical reason why they'd cancel. In fact, it seems the next logical reduction is to 1=1.

I also tried finding and expression for one equation in another and substituting to try and reduce one side to z and the other to x but I all I can come up with is complicated expressions that don't reduce very nicely and on my "best" attempts I've arrived at x+zy=x+yz

It seems like I am approaching the problem in the wrong way but I'm at a loss for another approach. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try multiplying the two equations together? I didn't actually work it out by hand, but it looks like it should work.

Yes, that does appear to work! Thanks so much that never would have occurred to me.

Related to Boolean algebra- cancellation property of addition

What is Boolean algebra?

Boolean algebra is a mathematical system used to analyze logical statements and operations. It involves the use of Boolean variables and operators, such as AND, OR, and NOT, to represent and manipulate logical expressions.

What is the cancellation property of addition in Boolean algebra?

The cancellation property of addition states that for any two Boolean variables A and B, if A + B = A + C, then B = C. In other words, if two variables have the same sum in a Boolean expression, then those variables can be canceled out.

How is the cancellation property of addition useful in Boolean algebra?

The cancellation property of addition allows us to simplify Boolean expressions by removing duplicate terms. This can make expressions easier to read and evaluate, and can also help to identify equivalent expressions.

Can the cancellation property of addition be applied to other operations in Boolean algebra?

No, the cancellation property only applies to addition in Boolean algebra. It does not hold true for multiplication or any other operation.

Are there any other properties in Boolean algebra that are similar to the cancellation property of addition?

Yes, the commutative property of addition is similar to the cancellation property in that it allows us to rearrange terms in an expression without changing its value. However, the commutative property applies to addition and multiplication, while the cancellation property only applies to addition.