Books recommendation for Mathematical proofs

In summary, the conversation was about the request for book recommendations on mathematical proof techniques. The person is looking to improve their skills in various proof methods, specifically indirect methods. Two book suggestions were given, including "How to Prove it, a Structured Approach" by D Vellerman and "The Theory of Sets" by the Bourbaki group.
JPSartre
Hi,
I was wondering if you can suggest good books on the techniques for mathematical proofs.

I know this is quite a simple matter but I would be glad if you could suggest me with greats books for teaching proofs.

More often than not I used the direct method and induction to prove problems in abstract algebra let's say. I am not that familiar yet with indirect methods such as contrapositive or by contradiction method. I need to get better at mastering all proof techniques before next fall.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Best
S

Physics news on Phys.org
Alright thanks Infinitum!

How to Prove it, a Structured Approach - D Vellerman! :biggrin:
You could also check out The Theory of Sets by the Bourbaki group, that book has a section or two on constructing logic and theories. (but this version is a lot harder going than vellermans approach)

ara

Hello Sara,

I understand the importance of mastering different proof techniques for effectively solving problems in mathematics. Here are some book recommendations that may help you in this regard:

1. "How to Prove It: A Structured Approach" by Daniel J. Velleman - This book provides a comprehensive and structured approach to understanding and constructing mathematical proofs, covering various techniques such as direct proof, proof by contradiction, and proof by induction.

2. "The Nuts and Bolts of Proofs" by Antonella Cupillari - This book offers a hands-on approach to learning mathematical proofs, with many examples and exercises to practice and develop your skills.

3. "Proofs and Fundamentals: A First Course in Abstract Mathematics" by Ethan D. Bloch - This book provides a solid foundation for understanding abstract mathematics and includes a section on proof techniques, with clear explanations and examples.

I would also recommend checking out online resources such as Khan Academy or MIT OpenCourseWare for additional practice and guidance on proof techniques. With dedication and practice, I am confident that you will become proficient in all proof methods before the next fall. Best of luck in your studies!

Sincerely,

Related to Books recommendation for Mathematical proofs

1. What are some good books for learning mathematical proofs?

Some recommended books for learning mathematical proofs are "How to Prove It: A Structured Approach" by Daniel J. Velleman, "Mathematical Proofs: A Transition to Advanced Mathematics" by Gary Chartrand, Albert D. Polimeni, and Ping Zhang, and "Introduction to Mathematical Thinking" by Keith Devlin.

2. Are there any books specifically for beginners in mathematical proofs?

Yes, there are several books specifically designed for beginners in mathematical proofs, such as "How to Prove It: A Structured Approach" by Daniel J. Velleman and "Book of Proof" by Richard Hammack.

3. Can you recommend any online resources for learning mathematical proofs?

Some online resources for learning mathematical proofs include Khan Academy, Brilliant.org, and MIT OpenCourseWare. There are also various YouTube channels and blogs dedicated to teaching mathematical proofs.

4. Are there any books that cover specific types of proofs, such as induction or contradiction?

Yes, there are books that focus on specific types of proofs, such as "The Nuts and Bolts of Proofs" by Antonella Cupillari, which covers induction, contradiction, and other types of proofs, and "Proofs and Fundamentals: A First Course in Abstract Mathematics" by Ethan D. Bloch, which focuses on proof techniques in abstract mathematics.

5. Can you recommend any books for advanced learners of mathematical proofs?

Some books for advanced learners of mathematical proofs include "The Art of Proof: Basic Training for Deeper Mathematics" by Matthias Beck and Ross Geoghegan, "The Book of Proof" by Richard Hammack, and "Proofs from THE BOOK" by Martin Aigner and Günter M. Ziegler, which explores elegant and surprising proofs in different areas of mathematics.