Books on *Formulation* of D.E.s

• Thread starter avarmaavarma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of differential equations in mathematical modeling of physical phenomena and seeks recommendations for books and publications that focus on these derivations rather than just solutions. Suggestions include academic texts and specific books that cover the derivation of basic equations from first principles.
avarmaavarma
I have seen a few articles outlining the 'derivation' of certain differential equations - e.g. Heat flow equation, vibrating string wave equation etc.

Does this correctly fall under 'mathematical modeling of physical phenomenon?

Can anyone recommend a book that deals primarily with such derivations - I.e. The original formulation of the DE or the PDE - not so much the solutions of the equations.

Any mathematical publications ( magazines) that are relevant would also be appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
avarmaavarma said:
I have seen a few articles outlining the 'derivation' of certain differential equations - e.g. Heat flow equation, vibrating string wave equation etc.

Does this correctly fall under 'mathematical modeling of physical phenomenon?

Can anyone recommend a book that deals primarily with such derivations - I.e. The original formulation of the DE or the PDE - not so much the solutions of the equations.

Any mathematical publications ( magazines) that are relevant would also be appreciated.

Thanks
It depends on what you're looking for. Most texts discussing heat flow or vibration, for example, contain derivations of the basic equations governing such phenomena from first principles. If you are interested in a particular topic, you can usually find an article by doing a web search. If you are looking for a text which covers a variety of topics, most physics texts, at least the ones which are calculus-based, have the derivation of the basic equations.

You need to find an academic text, rather than one which is geared to a general reading audience and which contains minimal mathematics.

Thanks. I do have such academic texts - and am able to find bits and pieces here and there. However, the closest thing I got to what I was looking for was -'Mathematical modeling techniques' a dover text. Am still curious to see if other books deal with this topic singlepointedly...thanks

Partial differential equations by Walter Strauss treats the mathematics of PDE's and also derives the PDE's from basic principles (It takes him less then half a page each). The vibrating string, and heat conduction are derived in chapter 1. He then spends half of the book explaining how to solve these equations for different boundary conditions.
Most PDE's are derived in the introduction chapter of a book dealing only with that specific equation, e.g. the navier stokes equation in a book on fluid dynamics, or the schrodinger equation in a quantum mechanics book. Like SteamKing said, it depends on what you're looking for.

Related to Books on *Formulation* of D.E.s

What is the purpose of books on formulation of differential equations?

The purpose of these books is to provide a comprehensive guide to understanding and solving differential equations. They cover various techniques and methods for formulating and solving differential equations in different fields of science and engineering.

What topics are typically covered in books on formulation of differential equations?

These books cover topics such as first-order differential equations, higher-order differential equations, systems of differential equations, boundary value problems, and numerical methods for solving differential equations. They also often include applications of differential equations in various fields.

Who can benefit from reading books on formulation of differential equations?

These books can benefit students and researchers in the fields of mathematics, physics, engineering, and other sciences that involve the use of differential equations. They can also be useful for professionals who need to solve differential equations in their work.

What makes a good book on formulation of differential equations?

A good book on formulation of differential equations should have clear explanations of concepts, step-by-step instructions for solving problems, and a variety of examples and exercises for practice. It should also cover a range of topics and be suitable for different levels of readers.

Are there any online resources available for learning about formulation of differential equations?

Yes, there are many online resources such as tutorials, videos, and interactive tools that can supplement the information in books on formulation of differential equations. These can be useful for further practice and understanding of the concepts.