Books on differential geometry

In summary, books on differential geometry focus on the mathematical study of curves and surfaces in three-dimensional space. They cover topics such as curvature, tangent spaces, and geodesics, and are used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. These books provide an in-depth understanding of the fundamental concepts and techniques in differential geometry, making them essential resources for those interested in this field.
WittyName
As the title says. Can anyone recommend me some good books for differential geometry(preferably ones with proofs and examples/exercises)?

Physics news on Phys.org
WittyName said:
As the title says. Can anyone recommend me some good books for differential geometry(preferably ones with proofs and examples/exercises)?

What level should the books be?? Undergrad, grad? Do you know topology, analysis, linear algebra,...??

jedishrfu said:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486667219/?tag=pfamazon01-20

or take your pic:

and an ebook to get started right away:

http://samizdat.mines.edu/difgeom/Shr3b.pdf
Thanks i'll be sure to check them out.

micromass said:
What level should the books be?? Undergrad, grad? Do you know topology, analysis, linear algebra,...??
It's an undergrad course but i want to do some preliminary reading. Yes to both analysis and linear algebra, but no to topology.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
I also like do Carmo for the basic curves and surfaces stuff. Once you learn a little topology (not much) you should check out Spivak (especially Volumes 1 and 2). Spivak's differential geometry books are awesome.

The book by Do Carmo was pretty good. I used it as a supplement in my differential geometry course in college, although it was a little bit advanced for me because it was the first time that I had ever seen any of the material.

A great introductory book is Barrett O'Neil's Elementary Differential Geometry. It has a lot of worked problems and solutions in the back so you can check yourself.

For more problems, try the Schaum's Outline of Differential Geometry

There isn't a perfect overlap of content and notation between these books, but I found that it was more than enough to do well in differential geometry. One thing to remember (which I learned the hard way!) is that 80% of the difficulty is understanding notation! So, the more resources, the better.

If you're coming at this from a physicist's point of view, both Nakahara's and Chris Isham's books on differential geometry are great. (Google is your friend, etc.)

Related to Books on differential geometry

1. What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of curves and surfaces using techniques from calculus and linear algebra. It provides a framework for understanding the geometry of objects in spaces of higher dimensionality.

2. How is differential geometry used in science?

Differential geometry has many applications in science, including physics, engineering, and even biology. It is used to model and analyze complex systems, such as fluid flow, electromagnetism, and general relativity.

3. What are some important concepts in books on differential geometry?

Some key concepts in differential geometry include tensors, manifolds, curvature, and connections. These concepts are essential for understanding the geometry of curved spaces and their applications.

4. Is differential geometry difficult to learn?

Like any branch of mathematics, differential geometry can be challenging to learn, but with dedication and practice, it can be mastered. It is recommended to have a strong background in calculus and linear algebra before delving into differential geometry.

5. What are some recommended books on differential geometry?

Some popular books on differential geometry include "Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces" by Manfredo do Carmo, "Introduction to Smooth Manifolds" by John M. Lee, and "Riemannian Geometry" by Peter Petersen. It is best to choose a book that aligns with your level of mathematical knowledge and interests.