Books like Serway for physics and mechanics

In summary, the conversation was about a first-year engineering student in Cairo looking for good books to study physics from. They already have Serway but are in need of more resources for additional practice and ideas. They specifically asked for recommendations in mechanics and statics, and mentioned that they study general subjects from both branches. Some suggestions given were Matter and Interactions, Fundamentals of Physics, and books by the author Warthog.
Gunha
Hi there,
I'm a first-year student in faculty of engineering in Cairo, and I was looking for good books I can find to study physics from, I already have Serway and I'm very pleased with it but I need more books to get more questions from it and ideas, it would be very great if anyone can tell me about other books in mechanics or any book for statics I study general subjects from both branches so its better if there would be a book that explains generally. thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump

Bump

This has been asked many times. A quick search will yield many results.

KiggenPig said:
This has been asked many times. A quick search will yield many results.
please can you just tell me names ? I can't find what I need, some books are specified in certain branch of physics or mechanics

I used Matter and Interactions for my introductory mechanics and EM. I studied out of Fundamentals of Physics for a year before I entered university. Both work just fine if you know calculus.

For some of your engineering classes, there is an author called Warthog( I believe), this author thought at MIT back in the day and wrote a few books. My friend studies from these books and he swears by them. I practice the first few chapters of his mechanics book, and it was well written and thought provoking.

Related to Books like Serway for physics and mechanics

1. What is the best book for learning physics and mechanics?

The best book for learning physics and mechanics is subjective and depends on the individual's learning style and level of understanding. However, some popular options include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin.

2. Is "Serway" a good book for beginners in physics?

"Serway" is a well-known and widely used textbook for introductory physics courses. It is designed for students who have little or no background in physics and provides a solid foundation in the subject. However, it may not be the best fit for all beginners, so it's important to try out a few different books and see which one works best for you.

3. Are there any alternative books similar to "Serway" for physics and mechanics?

Yes, there are many alternative books similar to "Serway" for physics and mechanics. Some popular options include "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Giancoli, "College Physics" by Knight, and "Physics: Principles with Applications" by Giancoli. It's always a good idea to explore different books and see which one aligns with your learning style.

4. Is "Serway" a good book for preparing for standardized tests like the MCAT or SAT Physics?

"Serway" may be a helpful resource for preparing for standardized tests like the MCAT or SAT Physics, as it covers many fundamental topics in physics. However, it may not cover all the material tested on these exams, so it's important to supplement your studying with other resources as well.

5. Can "Serway" be used for self-study or is it better for classroom use?

"Serway" can be used for both self-study and classroom use. However, it may be more beneficial in a classroom setting where there is a teacher or professor to guide and explain the material. For self-study, it's important to actively engage with the material and seek additional resources or help if needed.