Books for a prospective physicist

In summary, the speaker is interested in reading scientific books, especially ones that have influenced successful people like Elon Musk, Albert Einstein, and Bill Gates. They are looking for book recommendations specifically for being a better physicist, as they have found that most recommendations are for business and management. They mention reading books by Hawking and a compilation of Einstein's works, but are looking for more in-depth and useful resources. The speaker also mentions biographies of other scientists as sources of inspiration and emphasizes the importance of being a good scientist in order to be a good physicist. They highlight the importance of working hard, dealing with math, and understanding invariance at a higher and more general level in physics.
jamalkoiyess
Hello PF,
Lately i have been interested in reading scientific books after knowing that most successful people got concentrated into books and that's what pushed them (Elon Musk, Albert Einstein, Bill Gates ...)
But most of the advice i get for books are for business and management. So i would be pleased if anyone can give me any advice about books for being a better physicist.
What i am reading lately are mostly Hawking books which are good but lack the depth because it is meant for the public, a book about geoengineering that i started today, and i tried once to read "A Stubbornly Persistent Illusion" which is a compilation of Einstein's works but i felt it was hard and useless because i will be learning it later anyways.
So i wish you get my point and what i want to read and thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
"Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman" was inspirational for me, but more as a gateway to the Feynman Lectures than on its own.

As I matured as a physicist, "The Character of Physical Law" was also important in my thought development.

Biographies of other scientists have also been inspirational, including

"Louis Pasteur, Free Lance of Science" Dubos

"Lavoisier and the Chemistry of Life" - Holmes

"Galileo Galilei" - Drake

"George Washington Carver: From Slave to Scientist" - Benge

Don't forget that to be a good physicist, you have to be a good scientist also. Read books that will help you become a better scientist, and you will be a better physicist.

Most of the physics specific part of it is working very hard, dealing with the math, and dealing with invariance at a higher and more general level.

Likes jamalkoiyess

Related to Books for a prospective physicist

1. What are the essential books for a prospective physicist?

The essential books for a prospective physicist may vary depending on their specific interests and field of study, but some commonly recommended books include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, "Classical Mechanics" by Herbert Goldstein, and "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman.

2. Are there any books that can help with understanding complex mathematical concepts in physics?

Yes, "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas and "Mathematical Methods for Physicists" by George B. Arfken are often recommended for their clear explanations and comprehensive coverage of mathematical concepts relevant to physics.

3. Can you recommend any books that cover the history of physics?

"The History of Physics: A Very Short Introduction" by J.L. Heilbron and "The Quantum Story: A History in 40 Moments" by Jim Baggott are both excellent choices for learning about the development of physics over time.

4. What books can help me prepare for a career in physics research?

"The Art of Scientific Investigation" by W.I.B. Beveridge and "The Craft of Research" by Wayne C. Booth are both valuable resources for developing research skills and techniques, as well as understanding the scientific process.

5. Are there any books that cover recent advancements in physics?

"The Universe in Your Hand: A Journey Through Space, Time, and Beyond" by Christophe Galfard and "The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory" by Brian Greene both provide accessible explanations of cutting-edge physics concepts and discoveries.