Books: Advanced Statistical Physics Books for Understanding Concepts

In summary, the conversation is about recommendations for advanced statistical physics books. Several suggestions were made, including "Statistical Mechanics" by Ma, "Critical Phenomenon" by Ma, "Statistical Mechanics" by Reif, "Statistical Physics" by Huang, and "Statistical Mechanics: An Introduction" by Trevena. Each book was praised for its unique approach and useful content, but it was also mentioned that some may not fall under the category of "advanced" depending on one's background.
somy
Hi.
I need some useful and conceptual book in advanced statistical physics.
I can understand the mathematics in some famous book such as Pathria, but I have trouble understanding some concepts in that area.
Any suggestion?!

Thanks in advance.
Somy

Physics news on Phys.org
I find that the book "Statistical Mechanics" by Ma is quite good for developing some intuition at a more advanced level. The book focuses on "foundations" in the sense that it has a lot of chapters talking about the basic assumptions of statistical physics, the "derivation" of thermodynamics, and so on. Also, Ma's book on critical phenomenon is quite good as well, and that book has a nice discussion at its beginning of the different kinds of approaches one can take to describing a system and the relationships between them.

I like Reif - it's full of the good stuff. :approve: But it may or may not fall under the description of "advanced" depending on your background.

Huang is a good text. Also Landau and Lif**** is very good also.

I also like Reif as already mentioned, if you are not going into Statistical Physics for an advanced degree it might be all you need although the farther I get in my career, the more I need to know to get my work done ( more like both volumes of Landaus' stat physics books).

Last edited:
Dr Transport said:
Also Landau and Lif**** is very good also.
That's Lifsh!tz :approve:

I read a book named :Statistical Mechanics:An Introduction; by Trevena.
I really enjoyed the approch of it. It had some really interesting approches to build the distributions.
I really advise it. But not as the complete book you need!
Somy:smile:

Related to Books: Advanced Statistical Physics Books for Understanding Concepts

1. What is statistical physics?

Statistical physics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods to study the behavior of systems made up of a large number of particles. It aims to understand the macroscopic properties of these systems based on the behavior of individual particles.

2. Why is statistical physics important?

Statistical physics is important because it provides a framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of complex systems, such as gases, liquids, and solids. It also has applications in various fields, such as engineering, biology, and economics.

3. What are some key concepts in statistical physics?

Some key concepts in statistical physics include entropy, temperature, energy, and statistical ensembles. Entropy is a measure of the disorder in a system, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles. Energy is the ability to do work, and statistical ensembles are different ways of describing the same system.

4. What are some recommended advanced statistical physics books?

Some recommended advanced statistical physics books include "Statistical Mechanics" by R.K. Pathria, "An Introduction to Thermal Physics" by Daniel V. Schroeder, "Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics" by Walter Greiner, and "Statistical Physics: Theory of the Condensed State" by Piers Coleman.

5. How can I use advanced statistical physics books to improve my understanding of the subject?

To use advanced statistical physics books effectively, it is important to have a strong foundation in basic physics and mathematics. It is also helpful to read multiple books on the same topic to gain different perspectives. Additionally, working through practice problems and actively engaging with the material can greatly improve understanding and retention.