Book suggestions for accelerator and neutrino physics

In summary, the conversation is about a person writing their research thesis on accelerator/particle/neutrino physics and looking for suggestions on books to read about the history of this field. The person mentions having David Griffiths' Introduction to Elementary Particles but is looking for more non-textbook options. Another person suggests "Introduction to High Energy Physics" by Perkins and "Quarks & Leptons: A Modern Introduction to Particle Physics" by Halzen and Martin for studying particle physics, as well as "X-ray to Quarks" for the history of physics. The original person thanks the other for the suggestions and plans to check them out.
d3nat
Hi,

I am writing my (undergraduate) research thesis on accelerator/particle/neutrino physics.
I'm planning on writing about the history of this field (HEP) and what such research has tried to accomplish.

Currently, I'm looking for some books to read up on the history and such of HEP.

I have David Griffiths Introduction to Elementary Particles from when I took a particle physics course, but I'm looking less for "text" book feel books (if that makes sense?)

I would really appreciate some suggestions. I'm looking at books myself, but if anyone knows of some great ones, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
For Particle Physics use the book "Introduction to High Energy Physics" by Perkins it is a non mathematical book used by Experimental Physicists. As a textbook use "Quarks & Leptons: A Modern Introduction to Particle Physics" by Halzen and Martin.
If you are looking for History of Physics then "X-ray to Quarks" is good book to read.

n10Newton said:
For Particle Physics use the book "Introduction to High Energy Physics" by Perkins it is a non mathematical book used by Experimental Physicists. As a textbook use "Quarks & Leptons: A Modern Introduction to Particle Physics" by Halzen and Martin.
If you are looking for History of Physics then "X-ray to Quarks" is good book to read.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check those out.

Related to Book suggestions for accelerator and neutrino physics

1. What are some recommended books for learning about accelerator physics?

Some highly recommended books for learning about accelerator physics include "Introduction to Accelerator Dynamics" by Stephen Peggs, "An Introduction to the Physics of High Energy Accelerators" by Donald Edwards and Michael Syphers, and "Particle Accelerator Physics" by Helmut Wiedemann.

2. Are there any books specifically focused on neutrino physics and accelerators?

Yes, "Neutrino Physics and Astrophysics" by John F. Beacom and "Neutrino Physics" by Kai Zuber are both excellent books that cover the intersection of neutrino physics and accelerators.

3. What are some good introductory books for beginners in accelerator and neutrino physics?

For beginners, "Introduction to Accelerator Physics" by Stephen Peggs and "Neutrino Physics" by Kai Zuber are great options. They provide a solid foundation in the basics of accelerator and neutrino physics.

4. Are there any books that cover the latest research and developments in accelerator and neutrino physics?

"Accelerator Physics" by S.Y. Lee and "Neutrino Oscillations: A Practical Guide to Basics and Applications" by Agarwal and Kajita are both comprehensive books that cover the latest research and developments in these fields.

5. Are there any online resources or textbooks for free that cover accelerator and neutrino physics?

Yes, "Accelerator Physics" by S.Y. Lee is available for free online through the CERN Document Server. There are also various lecture notes and course materials available for free on university websites, such as "Introduction to Accelerator Physics" by Alex Chao from SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory.