Book recommendation for vector calculus.

In summary, the conversation discusses resources for learning vector calculus in a physics class. The individual mentions using "Mathematical Methods for Physicists" by Arfken as a reference source, but expresses interest in finding a book that covers the basics. Other books recommended include "Feynman Lectures" and "Div, Grad, Curl & All That" by Joseph Coffin, both of which have a focus on applications to physics.
Fjolvar
Hello, I'm learning vector calculus in my physics class. We're using Mathematical methods for Physicists by Arfken, but I think it makes a better reference source than something to learn the concepts from. I've downloaded the Feynman lectures which seem to be pretty good so far, but I was wondering if there's another book that someone could recommend.. starting with the very basics. Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I guess everyone must have taken courses which thoroughly explained the subject.

Div, Grad, Curl & All That covers that stuff, and was also written by a physicist, like a lot of good books on that stuff actually. joseph coffin also wrote a good one; the last third or so is all about applications to physics, and an appendix with a big list of all the important formulas

Last edited:

Related to Book recommendation for vector calculus.

What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with differentiation and integration of vector fields, primarily in three-dimensional Euclidean space.

Why is vector calculus important?

Vector calculus is important because it provides a powerful tool for solving problems in physics, engineering, and other fields that involve the analysis of vector quantities such as force, velocity, and electric and magnetic fields.

What are some common applications of vector calculus?

Some common applications of vector calculus include fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and computer graphics. It is also used in fields such as economics, biology, and finance.

What are some recommended books for learning vector calculus?

Some recommended books for learning vector calculus include "Vector Calculus" by Jerrold E. Marsden and Anthony J. Tromba, "Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential Forms" by John H. Hubbard and Barbara Burke Hubbard, and "Vector Calculus" by Peter Baxandall and Hans Liebeck.

What are some tips for studying vector calculus?

Some tips for studying vector calculus include practicing with lots of problems, drawing diagrams to visualize vector operations, and understanding the geometric interpretations of vector calculus concepts. It is also helpful to have a strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and calculus before studying vector calculus.