Book on lenses, their types, properties, etc.

In summary, there is a book that discusses lenses, their types, and how they are used, as well as how to construct binoculars and telescopes and what type of lenses to use. The book is called "Optics and Optical Design" by Conrady.
2sin54
Specifically I am interested in a book which talks about lenses, their types, where and how they are used. How do binoculars, telescopes work (how to construct them), what type of lenses to use...

Am I asking for too much? Would really appreciate if any of you guys could suggest me of such a book(s).

Physics news on Phys.org
Gytax said:
Specifically I am interested in a book which talks about lenses, their types, where and how they are used. How do binoculars, telescopes work (how to construct them), what type of lenses to use...

Am I asking for too much? Would really appreciate if any of you guys could suggest me of such a book(s).

There is a really old Dover edition -- two volumes: Conrady, "Optics and Optical Design" that is old, but is pretty complete for simple systems.

Related to Book on lenses, their types, properties, etc.

1. What are the different types of lenses?

There are three main types of lenses: convex, concave, and plano. Convex lenses are thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges, and are used to converge light rays to a focal point. Concave lenses are thinner in the middle and thicker at the edges, and are used to diverge light rays. Plano lenses have flat surfaces on both sides and do not converge or diverge light.

2. What are the properties of lenses?

The properties of lenses include focal length, refractive index, and optical power. Focal length is the distance between the lens and the focal point, where light rays converge. Refractive index is a measure of how much a material can bend light, and it determines the amount of bending that occurs in a lens. Optical power is a measure of the strength of a lens and is measured in diopters.

3. How do lenses work?

Lenses work by bending light as it passes through them. This bending, also known as refraction, is caused by a difference in the refractive index of the lens compared to the surrounding medium. The shape of the lens determines how the light is bent, and this can be used to either converge or diverge light rays.

4. What are some common uses for lenses?

Lenses have a wide range of uses, including in eyeglasses, cameras, telescopes, microscopes, and projectors. They are also used in various medical and scientific instruments, such as endoscopes and spectrophotometers. Lenses are also essential in the production of many everyday objects, such as smartphones and car headlights.

5. How do I choose the right lens for my needs?

Choosing the right lens depends on the specific application and the properties you require. Factors to consider include focal length, magnification, image quality, and cost. It is also essential to consider the compatibility of the lens with the device or instrument it will be used with. Consulting with a professional or doing thorough research can help in selecting the best lens for your needs.