Book on Curvature wrong or am I confused

In summary, the conversation discusses a question from a book on curvature by Lee, where it seems there may be an error. The question involves an embedded submanifold and a vector field X, and the conversation concludes that the question is indeed incorrect. The speaker provides an example to support their reasoning and also mentions that the book's author, Lee, has a website where he posts errata for his books and is responsive to emails pointing out errors.
conquest
Hi,

I was doing some exercises from the book on curvature by Lee to buff up my differential geometry. I came a cross the following question and it seems to me the question isn't completely correct, but I'm not so good at differential geometry that I am confident. Maybe someone else is!

the question is:
Suppose N ⊂ M is an embedded submanifold.

If X is a vector field on M , show that X is tangent to N at points
of N if and only if Xf = 0 whenever f is a smooth function on M that
vanishes on N.

What looks to be wrong is Xf only needs to vanish at points of N not all of M.

I came up with the example:

the vector field X=[itex]\partial_x[/itex] + y[itex]\partial_y[/itex] on M=ℝ² where the submanifold N is the real line (so set y to 0).

It seems that although at points of N X=[itex]\partial_x[/itex] (so at p \in N)
which is tangent to N.
the smooth function f(x,y)=y which vanishes on the real line has Xf=y so this only vanishes on N not on all of M.

So the question is is their something wrong with this reasoning or is the question wrong?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right, of course. The book should say "[...] if and only if Xf=0 on N [...]".

Ok thank you, I should probably doubt myself less!

Lee has errata for all his books in his web site.

Lee's also wonderful about answering emails with questions about his books. I spotted an error in that book and sent him an email, and he had emailed me back and posted the erratum within 24 hours.

Oh that's awesome! so next time I should check the website first and then e-mail!

Related to Book on Curvature wrong or am I confused

1. What is the "Book on Curvature" about?

The "Book on Curvature" is a mathematical text that explores the concept of curvature in different fields such as geometry, physics, and differential equations.

2. Is the "Book on Curvature" difficult to understand?

The difficulty level of the "Book on Curvature" may vary depending on the reader's prior knowledge and understanding of the subject. However, the book is written in a clear and concise manner, with examples and illustrations to aid in comprehension.

3. Can the "Book on Curvature" be used as a reference for research?

Yes, the "Book on Curvature" is a valuable resource for researchers and students in mathematics and related fields. It covers a wide range of topics and provides in-depth explanations and proofs.

4. Is the "Book on Curvature" applicable to real-world problems?

Yes, the concepts and theories discussed in the "Book on Curvature" have practical applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. The book also includes real-world examples to demonstrate the relevance of curvature in different contexts.

5. Can the "Book on Curvature" be used for self-study?

Yes, the "Book on Curvature" can be used for self-study. It is well-organized and includes exercises and solutions to help readers test their understanding and progress through the material at their own pace.