Book for 1st year college concepts?

In summary, the person is looking for a physics book that covers mechanics, waves, fluids, thermal physics, electricity and magnetism, atomic physics and lasers, radiation, and imaging in the context of the human body. They want a book with simple explanations, fun to read, and easy to follow with diagrams and an interesting approach. They are considering "Knight's Physics For Scientists and Engineers" and "Elementary Biophysics" or "Physics of the Human Body" by Richard McCall. They are also open to other suggestions from local bookstores.
divexo
Hi,

I haven't done physics since year 10, and will be doing physics next year at college, it is involving the concepts i will list below, with a emphasis on the physics of the human body with them, so if it involves this it'll be great.

I want a book that has fairly simple explanations, is rather fun to read, and easy to follow hoping with diagrams and an interesting approach.
Perhaps i need a couple of books? One would be the best, but i can't hope for that.

Mechanics: in the context of human and animal movement (introduction to Newton's laws of motion, energy transfer and transformation).
Waves: the basis of modern physics including lasers;
Fluids: blood flow, respiration (pressure in fluids, fluid flow, viscosity);
Thermal physics: energy balance of living organisms (thermal energy, temperature, heating processes, first law of thermodynamics);
Electricity and magnetism: bioelectricity, nerve conduction, electrical safety (forces between electric charges, electric circuits, resistance, capacitance, magnetic forces);
Atomic physics and lasers: fluorescence imaging and spectroscopy (structure of the atom, photons, spectroscopy, interaction of light with matter);
Radiation: radiation safety, therapeutic uses of radiation (the atomic nucleus, isotopes, nuclear decay and radiation, physical and biological half-life, ionising radiation); and
Imaging: modern biomedical imaging (X-rays, CT-scans and angiography, ultrasound imaging, positron emission tomography).

Thanks

Divexo

(i realized i posted this in the wrong section before, so i edited that to have it deleted)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The color of your post is obnoxious at best, please change it.

In regards to your topic, your run-of-the-mill physics book should do it for these subjects. Usually you won't be required to have previous knowledge of physics really, so you should be fine without doing anything special. If you're worried, just read your textbook before you take the class. I could recommend Knight's Physics For Scientists and Engineers as I think that's a pretty good book.

ok sorry changed.

thanksss, shall look into that book then.

Based on your topics, I'd recommend "Elementary Biophysics" by P K Srivastava.

Another possibility is "Physics fo the Human Body", by Richard McCall.

Thanks so much

But, I'm looking locally at the moment and it appears i can't find those authors. I may have to go international but i can find with similar names
- Physics of the Human Body (Irving Herman)
- Biophysics: An Introduction (Roland Glaser)
- Biophysics: An Introduction By Rodney Cotterill

Let me know how these are in regards to what I'm looking for, cheers.

Cutnell and Johnson?

Related to Book for 1st year college concepts?

1. What is the purpose of a "Book for 1st year college concepts?"

A book for 1st year college concepts is designed to introduce students to the fundamental concepts and principles of their chosen field of study. It serves as a foundation for future courses and helps students develop a strong understanding of key concepts.

2. What topics are typically covered in a "Book for 1st year college concepts?"

The topics covered in a book for 1st year college concepts vary depending on the specific subject, but generally include introductory concepts and theories, basic principles, and essential terminology. Examples may include math concepts for science majors, historical events for history majors, or literary analysis for English majors.

3. How can a "Book for 1st year college concepts" benefit students?

A book for 1st year college concepts can benefit students by providing a solid foundation for further studies in their field, helping them develop critical thinking skills, and expanding their knowledge and understanding of key concepts. It can also serve as a reference guide for future courses and exams.

4. Are "Books for 1st year college concepts" only for 1st year students?

No, "Books for 1st year college concepts" can be beneficial for students at any level. While they are commonly used for 1st year students, they can also serve as a helpful review for upperclassmen or a resource for students in different fields looking to expand their knowledge.

5. How can I choose the best "Book for 1st year college concepts" for my course?

When choosing a book for 1st year college concepts, it's important to consider the subject matter, the author's expertise, and the level of difficulty. You can also read reviews and ask for recommendations from professors or other students in your field to help you make an informed decision.