Book dropped on spring conservation of energy

In summary: Just compare the total energy at these two points:In summary, at the initial point, the book has potential energy of 3.50 J. When the spring is maximally compressed, the book has kinetic energy of 8.918 J.
EEintraining

Homework Statement

A spring of negligible mass has force constant K = 1700 n/m

A book of mass 1.30 kg is dropped from a height of .7m above the top of the spring. Find the maximum distance the spring will be compressed.

Homework Equations

PEi + KEi = PEf + KEf

PEgrav = mgy
PEspring = 1/2Kx2
KEbook = 1/2Mv2

V=\sqrt [V2initial + 2 8 (9.8) *(.7)] = 3.70405 m/s approx

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried this various ways without success. I think that I have the equation incorrect. I have:

PEi + KEi = PEf + KEf

PEgrav i + PEspring i + KEbook i = KEbook f + PEgrav f + PEspring f

mgy + 0 + 0 = 1/2Mv2 + 0 + 1/2Kx2
1.3 * 9.8 * .7 = 1/2 * 1.3 * 13.72 (which is v^2) + 0 + 1/2 * 1700 * x^2
8.918 = 8.918 + 850 x^2 which gives me 0

I know that I am missing something here

The first part of this question asks :
How far must the spring be compressed for an amount 3.50 J of potential energy to be stored in it?

Which I solved by using Uel = 1/2Kx2 but for some reason it is not working for the second part. The book is exerting a force of mgy 1.3*9.8*.7 on the spring and I should be able to set that equal to 1/2Kx2 but it was not correct.

Can someone tell me what I am missing here? Sorry this is long I tried to be detailed with what I have so far.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't forget that the spring compresses, which involves a lowering of the mass and a further change in gravitational PE. Hint: Measure the gravitational PE from the lowest point.

Do you mean on the second side of my equation? I choose zero to be where the book impacts the spring. So the spring compresses at that point would I have gravitational PE that is negative due to my coordinate system? Also, for the kinetic energy, do I need to change this somehow to account for the fact that it is still moving as it hits the spring?

EEintraining said:
I choose zero to be where the book impacts the spring.
Nothing wrong with that.
So the spring compresses at that point would I have gravitational PE that is negative due to my coordinate system?
Exactly!
Also, for the kinetic energy, do I need to change this somehow to account for the fact that it is still moving as it hits the spring?
Why bother to worry about this intermediate point? (Unless they ask about it, of course.) Instead, just compare the initial point (the moment the book is released) and the final point (when the spring is compressed to the maximum).

So I would then need to change the right side of my equation as well?

mgy would equal 1.3*9.8* (.7+x)

crap... what i did was also incorrect

if i taking the point where the book is dropped to the point where the spring is fully compressed i took:
x is distance spring is compressed

1.3*9.8(.7+x) = 8.918 (kinetic) + 1.3*9.8(-x)+1/2 Kx^2
12.74(.7+x) = 8.918 + -12.74x + 850x^2
8.918 + 12.74x = 8.918 + -12.74x + 850x^2
25.48x = 850x^2 divide by 850x
x = .03 which is wrong as well

EEintraining said:
if i taking the point where the book is dropped to the point where the spring is fully compressed i took:
x is distance spring is compressed

1.3*9.8(.7+x) = 8.918 (kinetic) + 1.3*9.8(-x) +1/2 Kx^2
(1) If you are measuring gravitational PE from the point where the book meets the spring, what would be the gravitational PE at the initial point where the book is released?
(2) What's the KE when the spring is maximally compressed?

OK I think I get it... i was probably over thinking it. So as soon as it hits the spring it it no longer has gravitational potential because it is on the spring and converting it into potential energy for the spring? Thanks for your help!

EEintraining said:
So as soon as it hits the spring it it no longer has gravitational potential because it is on the spring and converting it into potential energy for the spring?
If you measure the gravitational PE from the initial position of the spring (before being compressed), then the mass will have zero gravitational PE when it just hits the spring.

But who cares? Why are you worrying about that intermediate point? Just compare the total energy at these two points:
(1) The starting point, just as the book is released.
(2) When the spring is fully compressed.

Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Related to Book dropped on spring conservation of energy

1. What is the principle behind conservation of energy in a book dropped on a spring?

The principle of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. In the case of a book dropped on a spring, the potential energy of the book is converted into kinetic energy as it falls, and then into elastic potential energy as it compresses the spring, ultimately returning to its original potential energy when the spring pushes the book back up.

2. How does the height of the drop affect the conservation of energy in a book dropped on a spring?

The height of the drop affects the potential energy of the book, which in turn affects the amount of kinetic energy it will have as it falls and the amount of elastic potential energy it will have as it compresses the spring. As long as there is no external force acting on the system, the total energy will remain constant.

3. What happens to the energy if there is friction between the book and the spring?

If there is friction between the book and the spring, some of the energy will be lost as heat. This means that the book will not reach its original height after bouncing on the spring, as some of the energy has been dissipated as heat instead of being converted back into potential energy.

4. Can the energy be conserved if the spring is not ideal?

In real-life situations, there is no such thing as an ideal spring, meaning that some energy will always be lost due to factors like friction and air resistance. However, the law of conservation of energy still applies, and the total energy of the system will still remain constant, even if some of it is lost as non-conservative energy.

5. What other factors can affect the conservation of energy in a book dropped on a spring?

Besides the height of the drop and the presence of external forces or friction, other factors that can affect the conservation of energy in a book dropped on a spring include the mass and elasticity of the spring, the mass of the book, and the angle at which the book is dropped onto the spring. Any changes to these factors can alter the amount and distribution of energy in the system.