Bonsai shaper program, .raw from digital camera

In summary: Although if a leaf is dark green this shouldn't be a problem because it's still green. If however there is yellow light coming from leaf/ves then there would be problem.I've searched on the web some pictures in .raw extension, still can't find any.Here's a few raw images:The suffix for what my Canon calls raw images is .cr2. They are about 20 megs each though, I would just work from a standard picture format, even jpeg just for simplicity.One interesting thing to test would just be to get rid of all the luma (lightness darkness info) and look just at dominant color frequency, like you were talking about. I'll bet unhealthy leaves
fluidistic
Gold Member
Hi people,
I would like to create a sophisticated program that takes care of a bonsai. For simplicity let's assume that the bonsai is put into a cubic box with white walls, a digital camera able to produce .raw files and is under a compact fluorescent lamp.
I want to define what I'd call the "perfect range" of green value for the leaves, say from 540 to 570 nm wavelength so that if a leaf is outside this range, the program would cut it with the help of a mechanical arm.
Now, under such an illumination, I expect to be able to determine how 550 nm wavelength light is represented into the .raw file from the digital camera. I would like a real world example but I can't seem to find any example of .raw file on the web and I don't have a digital camera that produces such file extension.
How hard would it be to extract such information (colors) from a .raw file? Do you have any idea about this crazy project?
Thanks.

P.S.:The program would do many other things like taking care of humidity, etc. but for now let's tackle the visual part.

Technology news on Phys.org
Hey, my Cannon takes images in raw format. What I would do in your case is export to a 16 bit TIFF, so I have 2^16 shades of green to choose from.

Light is hard though. For instance, a leaf on top might need trimming if the camera captures a certain shade of dark green, but a leaf lower than it might be healthy, but come up as the exact same shade of dark green in the picture because its further from the light or slightly shadowed. You would want some 3D awareness of the plant to make these sorts of judgements, like from a 3D camera. Here's a Lytro watching flowers grow:

Fooality said:
Hey, my Cannon takes images in raw format. What I would do in your case is export to a 16 bit TIFF, so I have 2^16 shades of green to choose from.
I see, very nice. I guess that would be more than enough.

Light is hard though. For instance, a leaf on top might need trimming if the camera captures a certain shade of dark green, but a leaf lower than it might be healthy, but come up as the exact same shade of dark green in the picture because its further from the light or slightly shadowed. You would want some 3D awareness of the plant to make these sorts of judgements, like from a 3D camera. Here's a Lytro watching flowers grow:
Maybe a partial fix would be to shed the light from just above the camera (somehow like a flash from a digital camera).
Although if a leaf is dark green this shouldn't be a problem because it's still green. If however there is yellow light coming from leaf/ves then there would be problem.
I've searched on the web some pictures in .raw extension, still can't find any.

Here's a few raw images:
https://code.google.com/p/rawtohdri/downloads/detail?name=Canon_CR2_2.zip&can=2&q=
The suffix for what my Canon calls raw images is .cr2. They are about 20 megs each though, I would just work from a standard picture format, even jpeg just for simplicity.

One interesting thing to test would just be to get rid of all the luma (lightness darkness info) and look just at dominant color frequency, like you were talking about. I'll bet unhealthy leaves would always be skewed toward red/yellow.

Likes fluidistic

Related to Bonsai shaper program, .raw from digital camera

What is a Bonsai shaper program?

A Bonsai shaper program is a software designed specifically for manipulating and shaping images of Bonsai trees. It typically includes tools for adjusting color, contrast, and cropping, as well as specialized features for enhancing the unique characteristics of Bonsai trees.

What is a .raw file from a digital camera?

A .raw file is a type of image file that contains unprocessed data directly from a digital camera's image sensor. It does not contain any compression or processing, allowing for more flexibility in editing and producing higher quality images.

Can the Bonsai shaper program edit other types of image files?

Yes, most Bonsai shaper programs are capable of editing various image file formats, such as JPEG, PNG, and TIFF. However, it is recommended to use .raw files for the best results when editing Bonsai tree images.

Are there any specific tips for using the Bonsai shaper program for editing Bonsai tree images?

Yes, it is important to keep in mind the unique characteristics of Bonsai trees when using the program. For example, paying attention to the tree's natural shape, color, and texture can help create a more realistic and aesthetically pleasing final image.

Do I need any special equipment or training to use a Bonsai shaper program?

No, most Bonsai shaper programs are user-friendly and do not require any special equipment or training. However, having a basic understanding of image editing and the characteristics of Bonsai trees can be helpful in achieving desired results.