Bond Angles in Trigonal Bipyramidal Molecules

In summary, the isomer of F_{3}PCl_{2} with each chlorine equatorial has 5 unique bond angles due to the pushing of the fluorines by the chlorines, resulting in a C2v symmetry. For the isomer of BrPF_{4} with the bromine axial, there are 3 unique bond angles due to the pushing of the equatorial fluorines by the bromine, creating a C3v symmetry. The fifth bond angle for F_{3}PCl_{2} comes from the fact that the axial fluorines are pushed out of their normal positions by the chlorines, resulting in a slightly less than 180 degree angle between them.
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

What are the number of different bond angles for the isomer of [itex]F_{3}PCl_{2}[/itex] with each chlorine equatorial? What about for the isomer of [itex]BrPF_{4}[/itex] with the bromine axial?

According to the key the the first molecule has 5 unique bond angles.

Homework Equations

Trigonal bipyramidal usually has 2 different bond angles (90 and 120) when all the attachments are identical.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a hard time visualizing what bond angles there could be when the attachments are not all identical. I see three different bond angles. When looking at the trigonal planar "center" of the molecule, I see two different bond angles. I also know about the 90 degree angle between the axial fluorine and the central phosphorous.

At best I see these 4 unique bond angles:

F-P-P: 90 and 180 degrees
Cl-P-Cl and Cl-P-F.

Where's the fifth one?

uba9uzub.jpg

For [itex]BrPF_{4}[/itex] with the Br axial, I have three unique bond angles.

a9u7ubap.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the first molecule (PF3Cl2 with chlorine in the equatorial position), the chlorines will push the fluorines out of their normal positions. The symmetry of the molecule will be C2v. The 120° equatorial angles will be widened between the two chlorines and narrowed between the chlorines and the equatorial fluorine. There's your first 2 angles. The chlorines will also push the axial fluorines out of their positions (away from 90° and toward the fluorine). This increases the angle between the chlorines and the axial fluorines and decreases the angle between the equatorial and axial flurines. There's another two angles. The fifth angle comes from the fact that, since the axial fluorines are pushed out of position by the chlorines, they no longer sit at 180° from each other, but in fact are a little less. (I can go run a quick calculation on this if you want hard numbers. We'll see if I have time this weekend.)

In the second molecule (BrPF4 with Br in the axial position) the bromine will push the equatorial fluorines away from it, giving a C3v symmetric compound. The angles between the equatorial fluorines will be equal, but you'll have different angles between the axial and equatorial fluorines versus the bromine and the equatorial fluorines. So the answer here is 3 unique angles.

Related to Bond Angles in Trigonal Bipyramidal Molecules

1. What is a trigonal bipyramidal molecule?

A trigonal bipyramidal molecule is a type of molecular geometry that consists of five atoms bonded together with a central atom in the middle. The shape is similar to a three-sided pyramid with a triangular base and two additional atoms at the top. Examples of molecules with this shape include PF5 and SF6.

2. What are the bond angles in a trigonal bipyramidal molecule?

The bond angles in a trigonal bipyramidal molecule are 90 degrees between the equatorial atoms and 120 degrees between the axial atoms. This is because the equatorial atoms are located in the same plane as the central atom, while the axial atoms are above and below the central atom.

3. How do you determine the bond angles in a trigonal bipyramidal molecule?

The bond angles in a trigonal bipyramidal molecule can be determined using the VSEPR theory, which states that molecules will adopt a shape that minimizes the repulsion between electron pairs. In this case, the equatorial atoms will be placed as far apart as possible, resulting in bond angles of 90 degrees, while the axial atoms will be placed at an angle of 120 degrees.

4. Do all trigonal bipyramidal molecules have the same bond angles?

No, the bond angles in a trigonal bipyramidal molecule can vary depending on the atoms bonded to the central atom. For example, in molecules where the central atom has lone pairs of electrons, the bond angles may be slightly less than 90 and 120 degrees due to the repulsion between the lone pair and the bonding pairs.

5. How do bond angles affect the properties of trigonal bipyramidal molecules?

Bond angles can affect the polarity and stability of a trigonal bipyramidal molecule. Molecules with larger bond angles tend to be more stable, while those with smaller bond angles may have more polar bonds, making them more reactive. Additionally, the bond angles can also affect the shape and symmetry of the molecule, which can impact its physical and chemical properties.