Boltzmann Distribution (Chemistry/ Physics)

In summary: S and CP, if i get a clue i will tell you guys, please post if any of you get a leadIn summary, the first question asks how many molecules are present in the ground state of a hyperstoichiometric compound with a vibrational energy spacing of 3.08x 10^-21J at 300K and 3000K. The Boltzmann equation and ground state equation can be used to calculate this. For the second question, which deals with calorimetric data for protein unfolding, the relationship between ΔS and ΔCp can provide
Klestine

Homework Statement

Okay i want to ask 2 questions.
Question 1
Hyperstoichiometric compound Al3O has a vibrational energy spacing of 3.08x 10^-21J
how many molecules are present in the ground state at 300k and 3000K

Question 2
Calirimetric data for protein unfolding yielded following thermodynamic parameters
Parameter
ΔH (Tr) 220kJ/mol
ΔS (Tr) 0.68 kJ/mol/K
ΔCp 2.5 kJ/mol/K
how many protein molecules unfolded at 300K

Homework Equations

For question 1
Shown below is the Boltzmann equation
nj/ni = e-(Ej-Ei)/KT

Grond state equation is
nj/n0 = e-(Ej)/KT (this I found in a textbook)

For question 2

ΔG=ΔH-TΔS

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay for question the equation given in lecture notes is different to the equation i found in textbooks and the internet and it is

n0 = n(1-e-(ΔE)/KT

Two equations are confusing me, the this is if i use the equation given under relevant equations I get a weird answer,obviously wrong. Using the equation given in lecture notes it is easy and straight forward, but i doubt if it correct!

and for question 2 i have no clue what so ever to be honest. I do not know how i can use ΔCp

Thank you very much in advance for your help

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
With the Boltzmann equation, you would have to consider all states (and add their relative probabilities), as this just gives a relative probability. Your equation at (3.) did take this into account, you can use it.

Question 2: No idea.

Klestine said:

Homework Statement

Okay i want to ask 2 questions.
Question 1
Hyperstoichiometric compound Al3O has a vibrational energy spacing of 3.08x 10^-21J
how many molecules are present in the ground state at 300k and 3000K

Question 2
Calorimetric data for protein unfolding yielded following thermodynamic parameters
Parameter
ΔH (Tr) 220kJ/mol
ΔS (Tr) 0.68 kJ/mol/K
ΔCp 2.5 kJ/mol/K
how many protein molecules unfolded at 300K

Homework Equations

For question 1
Shown below is the Boltzmann equation
nj/ni = e-(Ej-Ei)/KT

Grond state equation is
nj/n0 = e-(Ej)/KT (this I found in a textbook)

For question 2

ΔG=ΔH-TΔS

Okay for question the equation given in lecture notes is different to the equation i found in textbooks and the internet and it is

n0 = n(1-e-(ΔE)/KT

Two equations are confusing me, the this is if i use the equation given under relevant equations I get a weird answer,obviously wrong. Using the equation given in lecture notes it is easy and straight forward, but i doubt if it correct!

and for question 2 i have no clue what so ever to be honest. I do not know how i can use ΔCp

Thank you very much in advance for your help
Question 2 looks like fun! :biggrin:

Think about what the link between ΔS and CP ([itex]\Delta S = nC_p ln\frac{T}{T_0}[/itex]) means for the system.

thanx guys, question 2 is fun and an absolute killer

I would first clarify the equations and parameters being used to ensure accuracy and consistency in my calculations. For question 1, the Boltzmann equation is typically used to calculate the ratio of molecules in different energy states, but it is unclear how it applies to the given information about vibrational energy spacing. I would ask for clarification or further information to properly answer the question.

For question 2, the ΔG equation is correct for determining the change in Gibbs free energy, but I would also consider using the Van't Hoff equation (ΔG = ΔH - TΔS) to calculate the change in Gibbs free energy at different temperatures. To determine the number of unfolded protein molecules at 300K, I would need more information about the system and the conditions of the experiment. Without this information, I cannot provide a proper solution.

Related to Boltzmann Distribution (Chemistry/ Physics)

What is the Boltzmann Distribution?

The Boltzmann Distribution is a concept in chemistry and physics that describes the distribution of particles (such as atoms or molecules) among different energy states at a given temperature.

What factors affect the Boltzmann Distribution?

The Boltzmann Distribution is affected by temperature, as well as the energy barriers between different energy states and the number of available energy states.

How is the Boltzmann Distribution related to entropy?

The Boltzmann Distribution is directly related to entropy, as it describes the most probable distribution of particles among energy states, which is a measure of disorder or randomness.

What is the significance of the Boltzmann Distribution in chemistry?

The Boltzmann Distribution is important in understanding and predicting the behavior of particles in chemical reactions, as well as the properties of materials at different temperatures.

Can the Boltzmann Distribution be applied to systems other than atoms or molecules?

Yes, the Boltzmann Distribution can be applied to any system of particles that have discrete energy states, such as electrons in a solid or photons in a gas.