Bohr Model Problem (Part 2 - Updated)

In summary, Simon provided an updated answer for problem 7 and problem 8. He mentioned that nf is incorrect and that you need to work out some ways to tell if you are right or not. He also mentioned that you should have an equation for the energy levels for Hydrogen in terms of n.
RJLiberator
Gold Member
Greetings again,

So I realize my last thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=757685 became chaotic with my thoughts and un-clear writing.

I've re-did the work to make it easier for people to understand my thought process. The two questions are as follows:

7)Calculate the wavelength that corresponds to an emission of energy of 1.977x10^-19 J.

8)If the initial energy level for the energy change in problem seven is n = 7, what is the final energy level?

And here's my updated work:
7)
8e9bc8e7-638e-4cf5-9a0f-dcaae8f6f0ef_zpsecbc3d25.jpg

8)
Problem8_zps2ffc54db.jpg

Any confirmation if I followed the right steps and achieved the correct answer?

Thank you as always,
Ron

Physics news on Phys.org
OK for 7.
For 8, you do not need, and should not, recalculate ΔE from the wavelength.
You already know what ΔE is, it was given to you at the start.

You should have an equation for the energy levels for Hydrogen in terms of n.
What is it?

ΔE=Ef-Ei = E(nf)-E(ni)

So what is nf and ni?

Likes 1 person
Well, n initial is giving to us at n level = 7.
n final is what we are calculating and I received the answer of 1.

Hm.
Nf = 1 is incorrect?

Dunno - I did not do the problem, and I would have chosen a different approach.
You asked if you'd done the right steps - there are no right steps, but there are more efficient approaches. Full marks usually comes from demonstrating understanding.

Want to check your answer, try doing it another way.
Work out the equation for ΔE in terms of E1 and both n's - then solve for nf, and then plug the numbers in.

Remember: you are training to solve problems that nobody knows the correct answers to.
You need to work out, now, some ways to tell if you are right or not.

Likes 1 person
Simon - Cheers for the response. Allow me some time to get back to this (hopefully tomorrow morning). I appreciate your responses greatly.

Related to Bohr Model Problem (Part 2 - Updated)

1. What is the Bohr Model Problem (Part 2 - Updated)?

The Bohr Model Problem (Part 2 - Updated) is a theoretical physics problem that involves determining the energy levels of an electron in a hydrogen atom using the Bohr Model. This updated version takes into account the effects of relativistic corrections and spin-orbit coupling.

2. Why is the Bohr Model Problem (Part 2 - Updated) important?

The Bohr Model Problem (Part 2 - Updated) is important because it helps us understand the behavior of electrons in atoms, which is crucial for understanding the chemical properties of elements. It also serves as a basis for more complex quantum mechanical models.

3. What is the difference between the original Bohr Model and the updated version?

The original Bohr Model did not take into account the effects of relativity and spin-orbit coupling, which are important factors in determining the energy levels of electrons. The updated version includes these corrections to provide a more accurate representation of the atom's electron energy levels.

4. How is the Bohr Model Problem (Part 2 - Updated) solved?

The Bohr Model Problem (Part 2 - Updated) is solved using mathematical equations that take into account the effects of relativity and spin-orbit coupling. These equations involve the electron's mass, charge, and angular momentum, as well as the atom's nuclear charge and size.

5. What are the applications of the Bohr Model Problem (Part 2 - Updated)?

The Bohr Model Problem (Part 2 - Updated) has various applications in fields such as chemistry, astrophysics, and materials science. It can be used to understand the electronic structure of different elements, predict the spectra of atoms, and study the behavior of electrons in different environments.