Bohr model electron wavelengths

In summary, de Broglie waves were a suggestion made by a mathematician that was not accepted by the physics community. De Broglie waves were a suggestion made by a mathematician that was not accepted by the physics community.
copernicus1
Hi

I know that in the Bohr model, electrons move between energy levels, but you don't hear much about the electron's wavelength at each particular level. If we assume the orbits contain an integer multiple of wavelengths, you get the usual $$2\pi r=n\lambda,$$ so, based on the expression for the Bohr radius, the wavelength at each level should be $$\lambda_n=\frac{2\pi r}{n}=\frac{2\pi n\hbar}{m_ec\alpha}.$$ Does anyone know if this a standard part of the theory? I've just never assumed the wavelength had to be fixed at each energy level, but that seems reasonable if each level has a fixed energy.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
copernicus1 said:
Hi

I know that in the Bohr model, electrons move between energy levels, but you don't hear much about the electron's wavelength at each particular level.
That is because the deBroglie matter wave model is misleading. You don't need it for the Bohr model and for anything else we have better models.

Sure, I understand all that. I'm just curious about the theory more or less as an historical artifact.

Actually, what do you mean when you say the de Broglie matter wave model is misleading? I know you don't need it for the Bohr model since he got from the Balmer series, but what's misleading about it?

copernicus1 said:
Actually, what do you mean when you say the de Broglie matter wave model is misleading?
It leads to misunderstandings along the lines of "wave-particle duality"... particles passing through many slits at the same time, interfering with themselves... that sort of thing. Mind you, it is difficult not to be misleading ...
Does anyone know if this a standard part of the theory?
FWIW: it is not part of the standard theory. There are theories it is a standard part of... but I don't know anyone who uses it outside of year I physics classes.

It helps to know the timeline:

1913: Bohr publishes his original model with circular electron orbits which were determined by quantizing the orbital angular momentum. Sommerfeld later extends the theory to include elliptical orbits, with a second quantum number.

1924: de Broglie proposes that the electron is actually a wave, and that Bohr's original quantization condition comes from requiring an integer number of wavelengths around a circular orbit. I don't know if he ever generalized this to elliptical orbits.

1925-26: Schrödinger comes up with a differential wave equation for "electron waves." His model no longer has electron "orbits" in the sense of the Bohr-Sommerfeld model. The wave function is distributed around the nucleus in three dimensions. During the same period, Heisenberg comes up with his "matrix mechanics" approach.

After this, physicists abandoned the Bohr-Sommerfeld model very quickly. I don't think one can say that de Broglie's waves were ever a "standard part" of the Bohr-Sommerfeld model. Someone might have attempted to come up with a serious theory along those lines if Schrödinger and Heisenberg hadn't come up with their theories so quickly.

Related to Bohr model electron wavelengths

What is the Bohr model of electron wavelengths?

The Bohr model of electron wavelengths is a model proposed by Niels Bohr in 1913 to explain the behavior of electrons in an atom. It states that electrons can only exist in certain energy levels or orbits around the nucleus, and that these orbits correspond to specific wavelengths of light.

How does the Bohr model explain the spectral lines of atoms?

The Bohr model explains the spectral lines of atoms by stating that when an electron moves from a higher energy level to a lower one, it emits a photon of light with a specific wavelength. This wavelength corresponds to the difference in energy between the two energy levels, and is what we observe as a spectral line.

Why is the Bohr model considered an oversimplification?

The Bohr model is considered an oversimplification because it only takes into account the motion of electrons in circular orbits, while in reality, electrons move in more complex ways. It also does not account for the wave-like nature of electrons, which is explained by quantum mechanics.

What are the limitations of the Bohr model?

The Bohr model has several limitations, including its inability to explain the behavior of atoms with more than one electron, its failure to account for the observed fine structure in spectral lines, and its inability to explain the shapes of molecules. It also does not account for the uncertainty principle, which states that we cannot know both the position and momentum of an electron simultaneously.

How does the Bohr model contribute to our understanding of atomic structure?

The Bohr model was a significant contribution to our understanding of atomic structure, as it was the first model to successfully explain the spectral lines of atoms and provide a framework for understanding the behavior of electrons. It also paved the way for further developments in quantum mechanics, leading to a more accurate understanding of atomic structure.