Bohr Model: Calculating Wavelengths of Emitted Photons

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of finding the wavelengths of the lowest energy and highest energy photons emitted when a singly ionized helium atom transitions from the ground state to the n=3 excited state and then back to the ground state by emitting two photons. The solution involves using the conservation of energy approach and accounting for the energy lost to the photons. The relationship between energy levels and wavelengths is also discussed, with the general formula for hydrogen-like ions being provided. The difference in wavelengths for helium and hydrogen is due to the reduced mass of the nucleus-electron system.
tigerguy
Hi,

I'm having trouble on the following question:
A singly ionized helium atom is in the ground state. It absorbs energy and makes a transition to the n = 3 excited state. The ion returns to the ground state by emitting two photons. What are the wavelengths of the lowest energy photon and highest energy photon?

I think I have to use the conservation of energy approach where nf=1 and ni=3, and also account for the energy lost to the photon. But, I'm lost of how to actually do this, and how to differentiate between the lowest energy photon and highest energy photon (I figure it has something to do with the length of the wavelength - longer wavelength leading to less energy, and vice-versa).

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that problem suggests that the electron returns to the n = 1
state via the n = 2 state. So when the electron goes from the n = 3
state to the n = 2 state, it emits 1 photon then emits another photon
going from the n = 2 state to the n = 1 state.

what is the energy difference between level 3 and level 2? level 2 and level 1? wavelength=E/hc

The wavelength will be very close to 1/4 of that of the corresponding
transitions for hydrogen due to the Z^2 factor. For hydrogen the wavelengths in Angstroms are: N2 to N1 - 1215.66
N3 to N2 - 6562.79

The wavelength for He (He+) N2 to N1 - 303.777 Angstroms

The general formula for hydrogen-like ions is wavenumber (1/wavelength in centimeters) =

RZ^2 * (1/n2 ^2 - 1/n1^2) where n2 is the principal quantum
number of the lower state and n1 the principal quantum
number of the upper state.
R is the Rydberg constant and for He+ = 109722.263 (1/cm)
for H = 109677.581
the difference being in the reduced mass of the nucleus-electron
system.

Related to Bohr Model: Calculating Wavelengths of Emitted Photons

What is the Bohr Model?

The Bohr Model is a simple model of the atom proposed by Danish physicist Niels Bohr in 1913. It describes the structure of the atom as a central nucleus containing protons and neutrons, surrounded by orbiting electrons at specific energy levels.

How does the Bohr Model calculate the wavelengths of emitted photons?

The Bohr Model uses the equation ΔE = hf, where ΔE is the change in energy level, h is Planck's constant, and f is the frequency of the emitted photon. This equation can then be rearranged to solve for the wavelength using the equation λ = c/f, where c is the speed of light.

What are the limitations of the Bohr Model?

The Bohr Model is a simplified representation of the atom and does not accurately describe the behavior of electrons in more complex atoms. It does not account for the wave-like nature of electrons, and it cannot explain phenomena such as electron spin or the shape of atomic orbitals.

How does the Bohr Model relate to the modern understanding of the atom?

The Bohr Model was an important step in the development of the modern understanding of the atom. While it has been replaced by more accurate models, it laid the foundation for future theories and helped to explain the behavior of electrons in atoms.

Can the Bohr Model be used to calculate the wavelengths of all emitted photons?

No, the Bohr Model is only applicable to atoms with one electron, such as hydrogen. It cannot accurately predict the wavelengths of emitted photons for more complex atoms with multiple electrons. However, it can still be used as a starting point for understanding more complex atomic structures.