Bohr Hypothesis: Proving Orbital Radius is Quantized

• Thread starter Jason Gomez
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bohr
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the Coulomb force and the centripetal force in a circular orbit, as well as the Bohr hypothesis and its implications on the quantization of angular momentum and orbital radius. The solution involves combining equations and solving for the quantity (mv), which can then be used to solve for the quantized orbital radius (r = n^2aB).
Jason Gomez

Homework Statement

Question:
If we assume that an electron is bound to the nucleus (assume a H atom) in a circular orbit, then the Coulomb force is equal to the centripetal force:
mv^2/r= ke^2/r^2
In the Bohr hypothesis, angular momentum, L = mvr is quantized as integer multiples of (h-bar): L = n(h-bar). Show that if this is true, orbital radius is also quantized: r = n^2aB.
aB = (hbar)^2/(ke^2m(electron))

Homework Equations

I have to be honest, I am completely lost. The book doesn't go in any detail and nor did the professor so I am stuck. If I could just get a helpfull hint or advice it would be greatly appreciated

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] \frac{mv^2}{r} = \frac{ke^2}{r^2} \implies r = \frac{ke^2}{mv^2} [/tex]

[tex] L = mvr = nh \implies r = \frac{nh}{mv}[/tex]

If you combine these expressions and solve for the quantity (mv), you can then plug this back into solve for r:

[tex] \frac{ke^2}{mv^2} = \frac{nh}{mv} [/tex]

Oh, let me work with that a little, I will be back on later, thank you

I forgot to come back because I have been busy, but thank you, that did help I figured it out.

The Bohr hypothesis states that the angular momentum of an electron in an orbit around the nucleus of a hydrogen atom is quantized, meaning it can only take on certain discrete values. This is expressed as L = n(h-bar), where n is an integer and h-bar is the reduced Planck's constant. We can use this information to show that the orbital radius, r, is also quantized.

Starting with the equation provided, mv^2/r = ke^2/r^2, we can rearrange it to solve for v:

v = ke^2/(mr)

Now, we can substitute this value for v into the formula for angular momentum, L = mvr:

L = m(ke^2/(mr))r

Simplifying, we get:

L = ke^2/m

Since we know that L = n(h-bar), we can substitute this into the equation:

n(h-bar) = ke^2/m

Rearranging for r, we get:

r = (h-bar)^2/(ken)

Now, we can substitute for the value of k, which is the Coulomb constant, and the mass of the electron, me, to get:

r = (h-bar)^2/(ke^2m(electron)n)

Finally, we can simplify the equation by substituting in the value for aB, which is the Bohr radius, defined as aB = (h-bar)^2/(ke^2m(electron)), giving us the final equation:

r = n^2aB

This shows that the orbital radius, r, is quantized and can only take on certain discrete values, determined by the integer value of n. This supports the Bohr hypothesis and provides evidence for the quantization of angular momentum in the hydrogen atom.

Related to Bohr Hypothesis: Proving Orbital Radius is Quantized

1. What is the Bohr Hypothesis?

The Bohr Hypothesis is a theory proposed by Niels Bohr in 1913 to explain the quantization of the electrons' energy levels in an atom. It states that electrons can only exist in certain discrete energy levels, or orbits, around the nucleus.

2. How did Bohr prove that the orbital radius is quantized?

Bohr proved that the orbital radius is quantized by using the Rydberg formula, which relates the energy of an electron in a hydrogen atom to its orbit. He found that the energy of the electron only changes when it jumps from one orbit to another, supporting the idea that electrons can only exist in specific orbits.

3. What is the significance of the Bohr Hypothesis?

The Bohr Hypothesis was a major advancement in the understanding of atomic structure and helped to explain many experimental observations. It also laid the foundation for the development of quantum mechanics and the modern understanding of the atom.

4. Does the Bohr Hypothesis hold true for all atoms?

No, the Bohr Hypothesis only applies to single-electron atoms, such as hydrogen. For atoms with multiple electrons, more complex models are needed to explain their energy levels and electron behavior.

5. How is the Bohr Hypothesis relevant to modern science?

The Bohr Hypothesis is still relevant in modern science as it provides a fundamental understanding of atomic structure and helps to explain many phenomena in chemistry and physics. It also serves as a basis for more advanced theories, such as quantum mechanics, which have revolutionized our understanding of the atomic world.