Boeing 747 Engine Power: Realistic or Not?

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of real world examples in a problem sheet for a class on engine power output. The example of a Boeing 747 with a maximum thrust of 1184 kN and a max speed of 274 m/s was questioned as being too large. However, it was clarified that this is a maximum value required for takeoff and that only a fraction of the thrust is needed for cruising flight. A helpful article was also shared for further understanding.
MalachiK
Hi there

I'm writing a problem sheet for a class that I teach and I'm trying to use as many real world examples as I can. I'm writing simple questions about the power output of engines that are moving vehicles at constant speeds. I've used cars and boats, but now I want to use aircraft.

From information on the internet I've researched that a Boeing 747 has a max thrust of around 1184 kN and a max speed of 274 m/s. This gives me a max power output of 324 MW. Err, I know this is a maximum value and all, but I don't believe the result. To my simple physics teacher's mind it seems far too big. Can someone give me a hint if my value is reasonable?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You might want to read this article:
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/propulsion/q0195.shtml

The max. rated thrust of a jet engine is required when the plane is taking off fully laden under adverse conditions (i.e., hot day, airfield at high altitude, low humidity, no headwind, etc.) Once the plane has climbed to cruising altitude and accelerated to cruising speed, only a fraction of the rated thrust is required to maintain level flight.

Not just not required, but also not possible. For a turbofan, the ability to generate thrust drops as speed increases.

Thanks for the link. I get much more believable values now!

Related to Boeing 747 Engine Power: Realistic or Not?

1. What factors determine the engine power of a Boeing 747?

The engine power of a Boeing 747 is determined by several factors, including the type and model of the engine, the altitude and weight of the aircraft, and the outside temperature. The engines are designed to provide enough thrust to lift the heavy aircraft and maintain a safe flight.

2. Is the engine power of a Boeing 747 realistic?

Yes, the engine power of a Boeing 747 is realistic and has been extensively tested and verified by aviation authorities. The engines are designed and built to provide the necessary thrust to safely operate the aircraft in various flight conditions.

3. Can the engine power of a Boeing 747 be increased?

Technically, it is possible to increase the engine power of a Boeing 747, but it would require significant modifications and would require recertification from aviation authorities. Additionally, increasing the engine power could put additional strain on other components of the aircraft and impact its overall safety.

4. How does the engine power affect the performance of a Boeing 747?

The engine power directly affects the performance of a Boeing 747, as it provides the necessary thrust to maintain speed, climb, and maneuver the aircraft. A lower engine power could result in a decrease in performance, while a higher engine power could improve performance but also increase fuel consumption.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to the engine power of a Boeing 747?

No, there are no specific safety concerns related to the engine power of a Boeing 747. The engines are designed to meet strict safety standards and undergo rigorous testing and maintenance to ensure safe operation. However, proper maintenance and monitoring of the engine power is crucial to ensure the safety of the aircraft and its passengers.