Electric Fields in circular wire

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude and direction of the electric field at the center of a circular ring with a uniformly distributed positive charge, q. The solution involves using the formula for electric field, E=kq/r^2, and making a substitution for the uniform line charge. After realizing the mistake of replacing λ with q, the correct answer is found to be E=[λ/(2rΠε)]sin(Θ/2), which is equivalent to the book's answer of E=[q/(4Π^2εr^2)]sin(Θ/2).
discoverer02
I'm stumped by the following problem:

A circular ring of fine wire carries a uniformly distributed positive charge, q. Find the magnitude and direction of the electric field at the center of the ring caused by just the charge on a portion of the ring subtending an angle [the] at the center, in terms of q, [the]and radius r.

The uniform line charge [lamb] = dq/dl
l = r[the] so dl = rd[the]
dq=[lamb]rd[the]

E = kq/r^2
dE = kdq/r^2 the dE's in the y direction cancel each other out because of symmetry.
E = k[lamb]r/r^2[inte]cos[the]d[the] from -[the]/2 to [the]/2

k = 1/(4[pi][ee])

so E= [q/(2r[pi][ee]]sin([the]/2)

The book show the answer to be: [q/(4[pi]^2[ee]r^2]sin([the]/2)

Can someone please point out where I'm going wrong?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You replaced λ with q.

Your result
E= [q/(2rΠε]sin(Θ/2)

should be
E= [λ/(2rΠε]sin(Θ/2)

Now, λ = q/(2Πr) so make that substitution & you'll get the book's answer

Thanks Gnome.

Boy that was simple. I guess I should read more carefully. I completely forgot that for a uniform line charge [lamb] = q/l.

Thanks again.

1. What is an electric field in a circular wire?

An electric field in a circular wire is a region around the wire where electric charges experience a force. This force is created by the presence of other charges within the wire or in its surroundings.

2. How is the strength of an electric field in a circular wire determined?

The strength of an electric field in a circular wire is determined by the amount of charge in the wire, the distance from the wire, and the properties of the medium surrounding the wire. It is typically measured in volts per meter (V/m).

3. What is the direction of the electric field in a circular wire?

The direction of the electric field in a circular wire is always perpendicular to the wire's surface. This means that the electric field lines are radial, pointing away from the center of the wire.

4. How does the electric field change as you move further away from the circular wire?

The electric field decreases as you move further away from the circular wire. This is because the electric field strength is inversely proportional to the distance from the source of the field. As you move away from the wire, the electric field lines spread out, resulting in a weaker field.

5. How is the electric field affected by the size and shape of a circular wire?

The electric field is affected by the size and shape of a circular wire. A larger wire with a greater amount of charge will result in a stronger electric field, while a smaller wire with less charge will have a weaker field. The shape of the wire can also impact the electric field, with a more curved wire creating a stronger field than a straight wire due to the closer proximity of charges to each other.