Boat's conservation of momentum

In summary: Then repeat the process for boats 2 and 3. In summary, the boats have the following speeds after the loads are thrown across: v1 = v+u, v2 = v, and v3 = v-u.
quark001
Three boats with the same mass P travel in line ahead (one after the other) with the same speed v. Two identical loads of mass P1 each are thrown simultaneously from the middle boat to the front and rear boats with the same speed u relative to the boat. What are the speeds of the boats (v1, v2, and v3) after the loads have been thrown across?

My attempts:

The speed of the masses relative to the ground will be v+u and v-u. Considering only the second boat and applying conservation of momentum, you get: Pv = (P - 2P1)(v2) + P1(v + u) + P1(v - u), and v2 = v. That part is fine.

Now considering all the boats in the initial, final, and intermediate stage: 3Pv = (P+P1)v1 + (P+P1)v3 + (P-2P1)v = 2Pv + (P-2P1)(v) + P(v+u) + P1(v-u). Now the expressions for v1 and v3 as given in the solutions section should not contain v1 or v3, and they must contain u. I don't understand how that's possible since if you simplify the rightmost side of the equation, u is eliminated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't quite understand your reasoning. Why not just find the speeds v1 and v3 just like you found the speed v2? You'll get your answers in terms of v and u.

If you simplify 2Pv + (P-2P1)(v) + P(v+u) + P1(v-u), you get 2Pv + (P-2P1)(v) + 2Pv = 5Pv - 2P1v. I could solve for v1, but my answer was independent of u.

quark001 said:
If you simplify 2Pv + (P-2P1)(v) + P(v+u) + P1(v-u), you get 2Pv + (P-2P1)(v) + 2Pv = 5Pv - 2P1v. I could solve for v1, but my answer was independent of u.
Sorry, but I don't understand what you're doing.

Try this. Start with boat 1. What is its total momentum after the load is dropped into it? Use that to solve for v1.

I would first clarify the scenario and the variables involved. From the given information, it seems that there are three boats with the same mass P traveling in a line with the same speed v. Two identical loads of mass P1 are thrown simultaneously from the middle boat to the front and rear boats with the same speed u relative to the boat. The question is asking for the speeds of the boats (v1, v2, and v3) after the loads have been thrown across.

To solve this problem, we can use the principle of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. In this case, the system consists of the three boats and the two loads.

Initially, the total momentum of the system is given by 3Pv, since all three boats have the same mass and velocity. After the loads are thrown, the total momentum of the system remains the same. This can be expressed as:

3Pv = (P+P1)v1 + (P+P1)v3 + (P-2P1)v2

Where v1, v2, and v3 are the velocities of the three boats after the loads have been thrown.

To solve for these velocities, we can use the fact that the speed of the masses relative to the ground will be v+u and v-u. This means that the velocity of the second boat, v2, will remain the same as the initial velocity v, since the masses were thrown from it with equal and opposite velocities.

Substituting this into the equation, we get:

3Pv = (P+P1)v1 + (P+P1)v3 + (P-2P1)v

Simplifying further, we get:

3Pv = Pv1 + Pv3 + 2Pv - 2P1v

Rearranging the terms, we get:

2P1v = Pv1 + Pv3

Substituting the values of v1 and v3 in terms of v and u, we get:

2P1v = P(v+u) + P(v-u)

Simplifying, we get:

2P1v = 2Pv + Pu - Pu

Therefore, the velocity of the boats after the loads have been thrown can be expressed as:

v1 = v + u

v2 = v

v3 = v

Related to Boat's conservation of momentum

What is conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time. This means that the total momentum before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction.

How does conservation of momentum apply to boats?

In the context of boats, conservation of momentum means that the total momentum of the boat and its surroundings remains constant. This means that when a boat is moving, it has a certain amount of momentum, and this momentum cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred between the boat and other objects.

How does the mass and velocity of a boat affect its momentum?

The momentum of a boat is directly proportional to its mass and velocity. This means that a boat with a larger mass or a higher velocity will have a greater momentum. For example, a heavier boat moving at the same speed as a lighter boat will have a greater momentum.

Why is conservation of momentum important for boat safety?

Conservation of momentum is important for boat safety because it helps us understand the potential impact of collisions or interactions between boats and other objects. By knowing that the total momentum of a system must remain constant, we can predict the outcome of these collisions and take appropriate safety measures.

How does the concept of conservation of momentum relate to Newton's Third Law of Motion?

Conservation of momentum is closely related to Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the context of boats, this means that the force exerted by one boat on another during a collision is equal and opposite to the force exerted by the second boat on the first. This exchange of forces affects the momentum of both boats and is governed by the principle of conservation of momentum.