Boat wavelength oscillation problem

In summary, a father and son went on a 20 ft long cruise and observed that it swayed through 22 complete oscillations in 38 seconds, with one wave crest passing per oscillation. The son noticed that each crest took 13 seconds to reach land and the wavelength was twice the length of the cruise. By using the formula D = v*t, where v is the wave speed, the distance from land was calculated to be approximately 301 feet.
phys1618

Homework Statement

a father and son went on a cruise that's 20 ft long. the dad observed the cruise swayed thru 22 complete oscillations in 38 s, and one wave crest pass per/oscillation. the son noticed that each crest required 13s to reach land and the wavelenght is twice the length of the cruise. how far were they from land?

Homework Equations

velocity=wavelengh/T
velocity=wavelengh *f

The Attempt at a Solution

for the wavelenghth I have 13.33m because i converted ft into meters. then since they nentioned that the wavelenth is twice the size of the boat.
I wanted to divide the number of complete ossiclation 22 by the 38s, but when it added that it takes 13 seconds for each crest to reach land. I got a little confused..
should i continue to do that or should i figure how many crest had hiut land already??
please help! thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

How frequently were the wave lengths completing an oscillation?

That gives you the T for 1 oscillation.

Each wavelength is twice the length of the boat which is 20'.

So that tells you the wave velocity doesn't it?

Knowing the velocity and the time to shore, how far again is the shore?

yes, that's what i was doing until they told me that it takes 13 second to shore. I didnt know where that time to shore belongs. So i did all that and my answer came to be 299.39m. is that correct?

ThankYou LowlyPion. You have always been a great help and quick too.
thank you thank you. I appreciate it

phys1618 said:
yes, that's what i was doing until they told me that it takes 13 second to shore. I didnt know where that time to shore belongs. So i did all that and my answer came to be 299.39m. is that correct?

ThankYou LowlyPion. You have always been a great help and quick too.
thank you thank you. I appreciate it

Once you have your wave speed, then surely you know that D = v*t

Preserving more precision and noting that the dimensions used were kept in feet and not meters I get slightly more.

13*40/(38/22) = ...

yes, keeping in ft, i got 301 .. thank you so much for your help

Related to Boat wavelength oscillation problem

1. What is the "Boat Wavelength Oscillation Problem"?

The Boat Wavelength Oscillation Problem refers to the phenomenon of a boat or ship experiencing oscillations or waves while traveling through water. This can be caused by a variety of factors, such as wind, currents, or the design of the boat itself.

2. What are the potential dangers of boat wavelength oscillation?

The dangers of boat wavelength oscillation include loss of stability, increased risk of capsizing, and potential damage to the boat or its passengers. In severe cases, it can also lead to accidents and injuries.

3. How is boat wavelength oscillation measured?

Boat wavelength oscillation is typically measured by monitoring the boat's movements and changes in its position over time. This can be done using specialized instruments, such as accelerometers, or through visual observations by experienced sailors.

4. Can boat design affect wavelength oscillation?

Yes, the design of a boat can greatly influence its wavelength oscillation. Factors such as hull shape, weight distribution, and the placement of sails or other structures can all impact the boat's stability and how it responds to waves and currents.

5. How can boat wavelength oscillation be mitigated?

There are several ways to mitigate boat wavelength oscillation, including adjusting the boat's speed and direction, redistributing weight on board, and using specialized equipment like stabilizers or anti-roll tanks. Proper training and experience in handling a boat in different conditions can also help to reduce the effects of wavelength oscillation.

Back