Boat B Must Head 56.4° South of West

• MHB
  • Thread starter markosheehan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Boat Head
In summary: The distance traveled by boat A in the y direction is 30. The distance traveled by boat B in the y direction is 18. The distance traveled by boat A in the x direction is 0. The distance traveled by boat B in the x direction is 25. The distance traveled by boat A in the z direction is 0. The distance traveled by boat B in the z direction is 25. The distance traveled by boat A and boat B together is 45.
markosheehan
a boat A is heading south at 30 km/hr. its spotted a boat B which is 18 km due east of boat A. boat B has a max speed of 25 km/hr and wishes to get a close as possible to boat A. what direction should boat B head in.

so i initially let boat A be the origin heading south. boat B starts at (18,0) and heads south of west. so i let 18-25sina=0 solving this gives 46 degrees. the answer is 56.4 south of west. i can explain what i did in more detail if anyone needs it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think what I would do is orient a coordinate system such that south is up and west is to the right. At time $t=0$, have boat A at the origin, and boat B at $(-18,0)$. Then, parametrize the motion of the two boats:

Boat A:

\(\displaystyle x_A(t)=0\)

\(\displaystyle y_A(t)=30t\)

Boat B:

\(\displaystyle x_B(t)=25\cos(\theta)t-18\)

\(\displaystyle y_B(t)=25\sin(\theta)t\)

Now, the square of the distance $D$ between the boats is:

\(\displaystyle D^2=f(\theta,t)=\left(25\cos(\theta)t-18\right)^2+\left(30t-25\sin(\theta)t\right)^2\)

So, we want to find any critical points:

\(\displaystyle f_{\theta}(\theta,t)=2\left(25\cos(\theta)t-18\right)(-25\sin(\theta)t)+2\left(30t-25\sin(\theta)t\right)(-25\cos(\theta)t)=0\)

This reduces to (discarding the boundary $t=0$):

\(\displaystyle t=\frac{3}{5}\tan(\theta)\)

\(\displaystyle f_{t}(\theta,t)=2\left(25\cos(\theta)t-18\right)(25\cos(\theta))+2\left(30t-25\sin(\theta)t\right)(30-25\sin(\theta))=0\)

This reduces to:

\(\displaystyle 61t-18\cos(\theta)-60\sin(\theta)t=0\)

Substituting for $t$, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle 61\left(\frac{3}{5}\tan(\theta)\right)-18\cos(\theta)-60\sin(\theta)\left(\frac{3}{5}\tan(\theta)\right)=0\)

\(\displaystyle 183\sin(\theta)-90\cos^2(\theta)-180\sin^2(\theta)=0\)

\(\displaystyle 90\sin^2(\theta)-183\sin(\theta)+90=0\)

\(\displaystyle 3\left(5\sin(\theta)-6\right)\left(6\sin(\theta)-5\right)=0\)

Discarding the root outside of the range of the sine function, we are left with:

\(\displaystyle \sin(\theta)=\frac{5}{6}\implies\theta\approx56.44269023807928^{\circ}\)

MarkFL said:
I think what I would do is orient a coordinate system such that south is up and west is to the right. At time $t=0$, have boat A at the origin, and boat B at $(-18,0)$. Then, parametrize the motion of the two boats:

Boat A:

\(\displaystyle x_A(t)=0\)

\(\displaystyle y_A(t)=30t\)

Boat B:

\(\displaystyle x_B(t)=25\cos(\theta)t-18\)

\(\displaystyle y_B(t)=25\sin(\theta)t\)

Now, the square of the distance $D$ between the boats is:

\(\displaystyle D^2=f(\theta,t)=\left(25\cos(\theta)t-18\right)^2+\left(30t-25\sin(\theta)t\right)^2\)

So, we want to find any critical points:

\(\displaystyle f_{\theta}(\theta,t)=2\left(25\cos(\theta)t-18\right)(-25\sin(\theta)t)+2\left(30t-25\sin(\theta)t\right)(-25\cos(\theta)t)=0\)

This reduces to (discarding the boundary $t=0$):

\(\displaystyle t=\frac{3}{5}\tan(\theta)\)

\(\displaystyle f_{t}(\theta,t)=2\left(25\cos(\theta)t-18\right)(25\cos(\theta))+2\left(30t-25\sin(\theta)t\right)(30-25\sin(\theta))=0\)

This reduces to:

\(\displaystyle 61t-18\cos(\theta)-60\sin(\theta)t=0\)

Substituting for $t$, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle 61\left(\frac{3}{5}\tan(\theta)\right)-18\cos(\theta)-60\sin(\theta)\left(\frac{3}{5}\tan(\theta)\right)=0\)

\(\displaystyle 183\sin(\theta)-90\cos^2(\theta)-180\sin^2(\theta)=0\)

\(\displaystyle 90\sin^2(\theta)-183\sin(\theta)+90=0\)

\(\displaystyle 3\left(5\sin(\theta)-6\right)\left(6\sin(\theta)-5\right)=0\)

Discarding the root outside of the range of the sine function, we are left with:

\(\displaystyle \sin(\theta)=\frac{5}{6}\implies\theta\approx56.44269023807928^{\circ}\)
thanks for your reply. just wondering is there a way using triangles to solve this using the sine rule do you know?

Being that it is an optimization problem, on a function in two variables, the way I worked it using the calculus is the most straightforward way I know of. :D

In what course was this problem given?

It's in a relative velocity chapter in math physics

markosheehan said:
It's in a relative velocity chapter in math physics

Is this a calculus-based physics course?

theres no calculus in the course. I am a bit confused on your answer. so i get that you are squaring the distance in the y direction between the boats and you are squaring the distance in the x direction between the boats and you are letting it equal to zero because the the boat B is aiming to intercept boat A.

however i don't understand your method of factorising (25cos(a)t-18)^2 + (30t-25sin(a)t)^2 =0

also i was thinking an easier way to solve it would be to say the distance traveled by the boats in the y direction is 25sinat=30t so 25sina=30 sina=30/25 sadly this doesn't work. why doesn't it work do you know?

Related to Boat B Must Head 56.4° South of West

1. What does "Boat B must head 56.4° South of West" mean?

This means that Boat B needs to travel in a direction that is 56.4 degrees south of west, or in other words, between the southwest and south-southwest directions.

2. Why does Boat B need to head in this specific direction?

This direction is most likely determined by factors such as wind speed and direction, ocean currents, and the desired destination. By heading 56.4 degrees south of west, Boat B can optimize its travel and reach its destination efficiently.

3. How is the heading of a boat measured?

The heading of a boat is usually measured in degrees, with 0 degrees being north and 180 degrees being south. This measurement is typically determined using a compass or other navigational tools.

4. Is 56.4° a precise heading for Boat B?

It is possible that 56.4 degrees is a precise heading for Boat B, but it could also be an approximation. The exact heading may vary slightly depending on various factors such as wind and ocean conditions.

5. Can the heading of Boat B change during its journey?

Yes, the heading of Boat B can change during its journey as external factors such as wind and currents may affect its direction. The captain of the boat may also make adjustments to the heading based on navigational needs.