Blowing up a balloon (thermodynamics and maybe ideal gases)

In summary, to find the work done by the air in blowing up the balloon, we need to use the ideal gas law and integrate the equation W = PdV from the initial volume to the final volume. This will give us the total work done by the air, taking into account the decrease in pressure as the volume increases.
doctordiddy

Homework Statement

A balloon behaves such that the pressure is P = CV3
where C
= 100 kPa/m3
. The balloon is blown up with air from a starting volume of 1 m3
to a volume
of 3 m3
. Find the work done by the air.

Homework Equations

W=PdV

The Attempt at a Solution

What I tried is simply trying the above solution by multiplying the P which is given by P=CV^3 by the change in volume

so i got

W=(CV^3)(Vf-Vi)

I then realized I had no idea what would the V in this equation be, can someone tell me if I am even doing this question right and if I am how I can determine the V?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for posting your attempt at a solution. It's great that you are trying to solve this problem on your own. However, there are a few things that need to be addressed in your solution attempt.

Firstly, the equation W = PdV is not relevant to this problem. This equation is used to calculate the work done in a reversible process, where the pressure is constant. In this problem, the pressure is not constant, so this equation cannot be used.

Secondly, the equation P = CV^3 is not the correct equation to use to describe the behavior of a balloon. This equation is not a physical law, and it does not accurately describe the behavior of a balloon. In fact, this equation does not have any physical meaning at all.

To solve this problem, you need to use the ideal gas law, which states that PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature. In this problem, the temperature is constant, so the equation can be simplified to P = constant/V. This means that as the volume increases, the pressure decreases.

To find the work done by the air, you need to integrate the equation W = PdV from the initial volume (Vi = 1 m^3) to the final volume (Vf = 3 m^3). This will give you the total work done by the air in expanding the balloon. I hope this helps clarify the problem and guide you towards the correct solution. Good luck!

Related to Blowing up a balloon (thermodynamics and maybe ideal gases)

1. How does blowing up a balloon work?

Blowing up a balloon involves filling it with air or another gas, causing it to expand and increase in volume. This process is possible due to the ideal gas law, which states that as the volume of a gas increases, the pressure and temperature also increase. When we blow into a balloon, we increase the pressure inside the balloon, causing it to expand and fill with air.

2. Why does a balloon get bigger when you blow into it?

As mentioned before, the ideal gas law explains this phenomenon. When we blow into a balloon, we increase the number of gas molecules inside, which leads to an increase in volume and an increase in pressure. This pressure pushes against the walls of the balloon, causing it to stretch and expand.

3. Why does a balloon deflate over time?

A balloon deflates over time because the gas molecules inside are constantly moving and colliding with the walls of the balloon. As they move and collide, they lose energy and the pressure inside the balloon decreases, causing it to deflate. Additionally, the material of the balloon may also be slightly porous, allowing gas molecules to escape over time.

4. How does temperature affect a balloon?

Temperature plays a significant role in the behavior of a balloon. According to the ideal gas law, as the temperature of a gas increases, its volume also increases. This means that if a balloon is exposed to heat, it will expand and get bigger. On the other hand, if the temperature decreases, the volume of the gas inside the balloon will decrease, causing it to deflate.

5. Can you blow up a balloon with any gas?

Technically, you can blow up a balloon with any gas, as long as it follows the ideal gas law. However, some gases, such as helium, have smaller molecules that are able to escape through the material of the balloon more easily, causing it to deflate faster. Other gases, such as carbon dioxide, may not be able to inflate a balloon at all due to their high density and low molecular weight.