Blood types probabilities problem

In summary, the probability of none of the first five people in the line up having type AB blood is 0.00001%, or rounded to the nearest hundredth of one percent, 0%. The most likely way to calculate this probability is as a binomial event, with a person's blood type being either AB or not AB. The probability of a person not having type AB blood is 0.96, and the probability of five people not having type AB blood is 1.0 X 10-7.
Mspike6
Hey .

i have a question about Probabilit. it's pretty easy but very time consuming, and so am pretty sure their must be anther way to do it. so if someone know anther way to do this question please go ahead and point it to me .

3. One particular high school encourages student to donate blood. The high school gym is set up for this purpose. The distribution of blood types in North America is as follows:

Type O: 44%
Type A: 42%
Type B: 10%
Type AB: 4%

*What is the probability that none of the first five people in the line up have type AB blood? Express your answer to the nearest hundredth of one percent.

my soultion would be .

a)draw sample space for the whole thing (Person 1, 2 , 3 , 4 and 5) with all the probabilities.

b) Eliminate any event which has a person with AB blood in it

c) Multiply the % of every event (except those that i eliminated) and then Add them .

Drawing the Sample space only would take atleast 30 minutes . and am pretty sure that's not the way am supposed to do it, because the exam is 2 hrs and they wouldn;t want me to spend 30 mins doing a probability question :D

Thanks guys

Physics news on Phys.org

Look at this as a binomial event - a person's blood type is either AB or it isn't. For a given person, P(AB blood type) = .04, and P(not AB blood type) = .96.

Now, how would you calculate the probability of 5 people not having this blood type?

Mark44 said:
Look at this as a binomial event - a person's blood type is either AB or it isn't. For a given person, P(AB blood type) = .04, and P(not AB blood type) = .96.

Now, how would you calculate the probability of 5 people not having this blood type?

I would say

Number of trails n = 5 (this is what am not sure of)
x = 0
p = 0.96
q=0.04

then sub. in nCk * Px * qn-xwhich gives me 1.0e-7 , which is 0%is that true ?

and thanks a lot Mark for trying to help me (again) :D

1.0e-7 is not 0; it is 1.0 X 10-7, which is 0.0000001, or 0.00001%

Mark44 said:
1.0e-7 is not 0; it is 1.0 X 10-7, which is 0.0000001, or 0.00001%

Ya, but we usually write the answers to the nearest one hundredth of a percent. which makes it 0 if am not mistaken.

Thanks again :)

Mspike6 said:
Ya, but we usually write the answers to the nearest one hundredth of a percent. which makes it 0 if am not mistaken.

Thanks again :)
Who is "we"? If this is something your class has been instructed to do, you should have told us that.

He did actually. :)

Mspike6 said:
*What is the probability that none of the first five people in the line up have type AB blood? Express your answer to the nearest hundredth of one percent.

It would have been better, though, if he said the answer rounds to zero percent rather than it is zero percent. I know when I read that, I thought, "What?!"

1. What are the different blood types?

There are four main blood types: A, B, AB, and O. These are determined by the presence or absence of certain antigens on the surface of red blood cells.

2. How are blood types inherited?

Blood types are inherited from parents. Each parent passes on one of their two blood type genes to their child. The child's blood type is determined by the combination of these two genes.

3. What are the chances of having a specific blood type?

The chances of having a specific blood type depend on the blood types of the parents. For example, if both parents have type A blood, their child has a 25% chance of having type A, 25% chance of having type B, 50% chance of having type AB, and 0% chance of having type O.

4. Can a child have a different blood type than their parents?

Yes, it is possible for a child to have a different blood type than their parents. This can occur if the child inherits different blood type genes from each parent.

5. What happens if someone receives a blood transfusion with the wrong blood type?

Receiving a blood transfusion with the wrong blood type can be life-threatening. The body's immune system will recognize the foreign blood cells and attack them, causing a reaction known as a transfusion reaction. This can result in symptoms such as fever, chills, nausea, and in severe cases, organ damage. It is crucial for blood types to be carefully matched before a transfusion takes place.