Blood transfusions-from CHIMPS?

• Thread starter Imparcticle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Blood
In summary, Blood transfusions--from CHIMPS?!Some 25% of people surveyed said they wouldn't mind receiving a blood transfusion from a chimpanzee, and 75% said the same. There are concerns about the compatibility of different genotypes of blood, as well as the possibility of blood-borne diseases being transmitted. Xenotransplantation--transfusions from non-human animals--is prohibited in the Netherlands for this very reason.

Blood Transfusions---from a CHIMP??!!

• Yes, I'd be willing to even if it wasn't neccesary

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Yes, I'd be willing to only if it was neccessary

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • No, I'd not be willing to if it wasn't neccesary

• No, I'd not be willing do it even if it was neccesary

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am unsure

• Total voters
Imparcticle
Blood transfusions--from CHIMPS?!

Yesterday I was watching a documentary about the close relationship between chimps and humans. I was appalled to hear the narrator explain the relationship of chimps and humans to be so close that humans could take blood transfusions from chimps. They gave a public survey and found that 25% (including Jane Goodall[sp?]) said that they wouldn't mind at all. The other 75% said no. I would too. How about you?
Wouldn't blood transfusions from different genuses result in complications? Even if the animal, like a chimp, has only a 1% genetic difference from human DNA? Obviously, that 1% is significant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Whole blood may be an issue, because white blood cells do contain chimp DNA. Blood products should not really be an issue. Red blood cells do not contain any genetic material, and neither do platelets.

- Warren

wow, chroot, that's really interesting. Why don't red blood cells/platelets contain DNA?

I can already see this thread shouldn't belong in General Discussion...if someone can put it in Biology, it would be appreciated. thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm no biologist, so I could be wrong, and apologize if I am. I can't provide any references, it's just something I thought I picked up somewhere.

- Warren

Why use chimps if there are humans that you can get the material from? If chimps were to be used for this purpose, they'd have to grow up in a complete sterile environment since the carry-over of strange virusses and other pathogens is very large since we are so related.

Xenotransplantation is prohibited in the Netherlands for that reason, I'm not sure about the situation in other countries.

For what reason do you say you are appalled, Imparticle?

Options 2 and 3 on the poll mean pretty much the same thing ! Perhaps, you should eliminate 3.

I can't edit the pole. You should ask an administrator.

During these 120 days, each and every red blood cell travels over 300 miles and traverses the heart 170,000 times! More amazingly this works out to over 14,000 passages per day or 60 times per hour or (gasp!) approximately one trip through the heart every minute.
Despite a 120 day life span, we have so many red cells that each day the normal adult produces almost 200 billion (that’s 200,000,000,000) new red blood cells to replace the 200 billion cells that are removed from the circulation due to old age.

Just out of curiosity, how do they know this? They must have a lot of time on their hands...

Imparcticle said:
I can't edit the pole. You should ask an administrator.

Just out of curiosity, how do they know this? They must have a lot of time on their hands...

Seems like a simple calculation, if you know the average lifetime of a red blood cell, the number of them per volume of blood, and the volumes pumped by the heart to the lungs and to the arteries per time unit. You have to assume the blood system is continuous, that every volume pumped out from the heart eventually comes back to the heart.

And how do they calculate the number of blood cells in a volume of blood? Do they take a small amount and then multiply the number of cells in the small amount by a given volume of blood?

Yes, there are certain counting chambers where cells can be counted in a grid; for instance, a Burker chamber has squares of 0.1 mm deep and a surface of 0.04 mm2.. I guess about 10 cells could be counted per square (depending on the cell type).. you count about 100 cells and then see in how many squares those were and from there you can do further calculations.

Related to Blood transfusions-from CHIMPS?

1. What is a blood transfusion?

A blood transfusion is a medical procedure in which blood is taken from one person (the donor) and given to another person (the recipient). This is often done to replace blood that has been lost due to injury, surgery, or medical conditions.

2. Can blood transfusions be done between different species, such as humans and chimps?

No, blood transfusions cannot be done between different species. Each species has its own unique blood type and proteins, and introducing blood from a different species can cause severe reactions and complications.

3. What are the risks of receiving blood from chimps?

There are many risks associated with receiving blood from chimps, including potential transmission of diseases, allergic reactions, and rejection of the blood by the recipient's immune system. It is not recommended to receive blood from chimps or any other non-human species.

4. Are there any benefits to receiving blood from chimps?

No, there are no known benefits to receiving blood from chimps. In fact, it can be very dangerous and should only be done in extreme and life-threatening situations when no other options are available.

5. How are blood transfusions between chimps and humans being used in scientific research?

In scientific research, blood transfusions between chimps and humans are often used to study diseases and understand the immune response. However, these studies are heavily regulated and only done in specific and controlled settings with strict ethical guidelines.