Blocking Certain IP address on the router....

• Thread starter fog37
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Router
In summary, an IP address is a unique label assigned to devices on a network for communication purposes. Blocking an IP address on a router can prevent unwanted or malicious traffic from accessing the network. To find an IP address to block, you can check router logs or use tools like "ipconfig" or "ifconfig". Multiple IP addresses can be blocked at once by creating a list and applying it to the router's settings. Blocking an IP address will prevent all access from that device, but it can be unblocked by accessing the router's settings.
fog37
Dear Forum,

I would like to either block or direct a certain URL request to a specific IP address. I looked into my router configuration but I found no place where I can do either of those two tasks. I have a simple Netgear router...

thanks,
fog37

Computer science news on Phys.org
Some router have a feature like URL blocking or Firewall... What is your model ?

Related to Blocking Certain IP address on the router....

What is an IP address and why would I want to block it on my router?

An IP address is a unique numerical label assigned to every device connected to a network. It allows for communication between devices on the internet. Blocking an IP address on your router can prevent unwanted or malicious traffic from accessing your network.

How can I find the IP address I want to block?

There are several ways to find the IP address you want to block. You can check the logs on your router to see which devices have been accessing your network, or you can use a tool like "ipconfig" on a Windows computer or "ifconfig" on a Mac or Linux computer to view the IP address of your device.

Can I block multiple IP addresses at once?

Yes, most routers have the capability to block multiple IP addresses at once. This can be done by creating a list of the IP addresses you want to block and then applying that list to your router's settings.

Will blocking an IP address on my router block all access from that device?

Yes, blocking an IP address on your router will prevent any traffic from that device from accessing your network. It is important to ensure that you are only blocking the specific IP address you want and not any other devices that may be using the same IP address.

Can I unblock an IP address that I previously blocked?

Yes, you can unblock an IP address that you previously blocked on your router. This can be done by accessing your router's settings and removing the IP address from the blocked list. Keep in mind that the device will still need to have a valid IP address to access your network.