Block sliding down frictionless semicircle

In summary, the problem is trying to find the angle at which a block of mass m will slide off a semicircular bowl with radius r. The forces at work are gravity, normal force, and possibly a centripetal force. By drawing a free-body diagram and resolving the forces in the radial direction, the normal force is found to be zero at the angle where the block slides off. Using Newton's 2nd law in the radial direction and energy conservation, a relation between r, g, theta, and velocity can be found to determine the angle at which the block will slide off the bowl.
platinumtucan

Homework Statement

A block of mass, m, sits atop a semicircular bowl of radius, r, and the angle the radius makes with the horizontal is [tex]\theta[/tex]. Find what angle, [tex]\theta[/tex], the block will slide off the bowl.

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2 + mgy = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 + mgy[/tex]

[tex]\alpha=ar[/tex]

[tex]a_{c}=\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Drawing a free-body diagram, the forces I think at work are the normal force, gravity, and possibly a centripetal force. The resolution of gravity along a circular path is where my trouble begins. I don't think it's really equivalent to resolve gravity as the sum of two x and y vectors along an incline, since this is a circle. Maybe resolving into x=rcos[tex]\theta[/tex] and y=rsin[tex]\theta[/tex] and saying mgrcos[tex]\theta[/tex]=X motion and Y motion is mgrsin[tex]\theta[/tex]=y. Then I'm stuck how to incorporate the normal force into either of those two equations (assuming they're accurate representations of the motion of this object along this semicircle). Maybe [tex]\sum{F_{y}}=F_{n}-mgrsin\theta=mar[/tex] and [tex]\sum{F_{x}}=mgrcos\theta=mar[/tex]. I guess if I could by some mathematical bastardization equate mgrcos[tex]\theta[/tex]=mgrsin[tex]\theta[/tex] I'd get that [tex]\theta=\frac{\Pi}{4}[/tex]

I hope you all can give me a little guidance so that I can solve this problem. I know it's been posted before, but I searched, and I couldn't any help toward a solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the normal force acting on the block as it slides off the bowl?

so if the normal force equals zero then [tex]-mgrsin\theta=mgrcos\theta[/tex] and [tex]\theta=\frac{-\pi}{4}[/tex] which would have to become positive [tex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex] since...?

platinumtucan said:
so if the normal force equals zero then [tex]-mgrsin\theta=mgrcos\theta[/tex] and [tex]\theta=\frac{-\pi}{4}[/tex] which would have to become positive [tex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex] since...?
The normal force is zero as it loses contact with the surface, but why in the world are you attempting to equate "vertical" and "horizontal" components of gravity? (At least I think that's what you're doing. To properly find the components of gravity, draw yourself a diagram and apply a bit of trig. Don't convert coordinates using x = r cosθ.)

Hint: Apply Newton's 2nd law in the radial direction.

The most important equation is

[tex] N = 0 [/tex]

At theta what are the forces on the block in the radial direction? Equate them as N is zero.

You will get a relation in r g and theta and velocity. Find the velocity by energy conservation

ac=gcos(theta)

Related to Block sliding down frictionless semicircle

1. What is a block sliding down a frictionless semicircle?

A block sliding down a frictionless semicircle is a classic physics problem that involves a block placed on a curved surface (semicircle) with no friction. The block is released from rest at the top of the semicircle and its motion is governed by the laws of motion and gravity.

2. What is the shape of the path followed by the block?

The path followed by the block is a half-circle, or semicircle, due to the curvature of the surface. This is because the block experiences a constant acceleration due to gravity, causing it to move in a circular motion.

3. How does the block's speed change as it slides down the frictionless semicircle?

The block's speed increases as it slides down the frictionless semicircle due to the acceleration from gravity. The speed is greatest at the bottom of the semicircle, where the block has the most potential energy converted into kinetic energy.

4. Does the block experience any friction as it slides down the semicircle?

No, the block does not experience any friction as it slides down the semicircle. This is because the problem assumes a frictionless surface, meaning there is no force opposing the motion of the block.

5. What factors affect the block's motion as it slides down the frictionless semicircle?

The block's motion is affected by the force of gravity, the mass of the block, and the radius of the semicircle. The larger the mass of the block or the smaller the radius of the semicircle, the greater the force of gravity and the faster the block will slide down the semicircle.