Block on inclined plane with pulleys and friction

In summary, the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.15 and the question is to find the acceleration of block A. The equations used were -200sin(30)+(0.15)(200)cos(30)+2T=-200/32.2*a and T-40=40/32.2*b, with negative values for forces pointing downhill and positive for pointing up. However, after solving the equations, it was found that the blocks do not move at all due to the impossible uphill motion caused by the uphill kinetic friction.
phlstr

Homework Statement

nE4Vv.png

coefficient of kinetic friction = 0.15

Find the acceleration of block a.

Homework Equations

see below

The Attempt at a Solution

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=-200sin30%2B0.15*200cos30%2B2x%3D-200%2F32.2*a%3Bx-40%3D40%2F32.2*b%3Ba%3D0.5*b

I used x for tension and a and b for the acceleration of the blocks.

I assumed that the acceleration of block a is down the plane and so block b would go up, but the answer I got was negative! I tried assuming that block a goes up and block b goes down, but I got a negative answer again! Are the equations that I used wrong? or the blocks don't move at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi phlstr! :smile:

your geometric constraint b = 0.5a is wrong, it should be b = -0.5a

(look at the diagram! :wink:)

Hi :). But I already made the net mass*acceleration negative for A and the net force for B positive. I used the geometric constraint just for the magnitude..

and I think you mean a=0.5b. :shy:

Last edited:
phlstr said:
Hi :). But I already made the net mass*acceleration negative for A and the net force for B positive.

no, both equations are measuring up as positive

(we can see that eg from the fact that your x (tension) is positive both cases)

so if a increases, b decreases :wink:

What do you mean by measuring up as positive?

phlstr said:
What do you mean by measuring up as positive?

i mean uphill for A, and directly up for B

So these are my equations:

[itex]-200sin\left(30\right)+(0.15)(200)cos\left(30\right)+2T=-\frac{200}{32.2}a[/itex]
I use negative values for forces pointing downhill, and positive for pointing up. Since I assumed that the net force for block A is going down, I made the right side negative..

[itex]T-40=\frac{40}{32.2}b[/itex]
Negative is down and positive is up. Since block A is going downhill, then block B is accelerating upwards and the net force is upwards.

[itex]a=0.5b[/itex]
The magnitude of the acceleration of block A is half of the acceleration of block B.

This is how I understand the equations that I'm using.. Can you point where it's wrong?

ah, now that i see it on the same page, it does looks right :smile:

ok, i get positive times a on the LHS = a positive number on the RHS,

what did you get?

I plugged the equations in wolfram alpha and got
a=-0.534946 b=-1.06989, T=38.6709

I also tried using substitution and got the same for A...
and it's negative??

phlstr said:
I also tried using substitution

let's see :smile:

[itex]-200sin\left(30\right)+(0.15)(200)cos\left(30\right)+2T=-\frac{200}{32.2}a[/itex]
[itex]T-40=\frac{40}{32.2}b[/itex]
[itex]a=0.5b[/itex]

[itex]T=\frac{40}{32.2}b+40[/itex]
[itex]2a=b[/itex]
[itex]T=\frac{40}{32.2}2a+40[/itex]

[itex]-200sin\left(30\right)+(0.15)(200)cos\left(30\right)+2\left(\frac{40}{32.2}2a+40\right)=-\frac{200}{32.2}a[/itex]

[itex]-200sin\left(30\right)+(0.15)(200)cos\left(30\right)+\frac{160}{32.2}a+80=-\frac{200}{32.2}a[/itex]

[itex]-200sin\left(30\right)+(0.15)(200)cos\left(30\right)+80=-\frac{200}{32.2}a-\frac{160}{32.2}a[/itex]

[itex]5.980762114=-11.18012422a[/itex]

[itex]a=-0.5349459[/itex]

:smile:

oh … very small and negative!

ie uphill

so if the kinetic friction is uphill, the motion would have to be uphill also, which is impossible

and if we make the kinetic friction downhill, then that +25 becomes -25, and the motion is also downhill, again impossible

so the blocks don't move

you could find the friction force F by solving the same pair of equations, with 0 on the RHS and F in the middle of the LHS :wink:

Related to Block on inclined plane with pulleys and friction

1. What is a block on an inclined plane?

A block on an inclined plane is a common physics problem used to demonstrate the principles of forces, motion, and energy. It involves a block placed on a sloped surface, with or without friction, and subjected to various forces such as gravity and tension.

2. How do pulleys affect a block on an inclined plane?

Pulleys are used to change the direction of the applied force and to distribute the force over a longer distance. In a block on an inclined plane, pulleys are often used to reduce the amount of force required to move the block by increasing the distance over which the force is applied.

3. What role does friction play in a block on an inclined plane?

Friction is an important factor in a block on an inclined plane because it opposes the motion of the block. The amount of friction present can affect the acceleration of the block and determine whether it moves or remains at rest.

4. How do you calculate the net force on a block on an inclined plane?

To calculate the net force on a block on an inclined plane, you need to consider all the forces acting on the block. These include the force of gravity, the force of tension, and the force of friction. By using vector addition, you can determine the net force and use it to calculate the acceleration of the block.

5. What are some real-life applications of a block on an inclined plane with pulleys and friction?

Block on inclined plane problems can be used to model various situations in real life, such as a car moving up a hill, a ramp used to load heavy objects onto a truck, and even the motion of ski lifts. Understanding the principles behind these physics problems can help us design and improve upon these real-life applications.