Block on Inclined Plane: The Effects of a Fixed vs. Unfixed Surface

In summary, the inclined plane will move in the same direction as the block if the magnitude of the force is large enough.
konichiwa2x
Hi,
I recently did a problem in which a block of definite mass was placed on the top of a inclined plane which was inclined at some angle with the horizontal. The block starts to slide down. What would happen if the inclined plane was not fixed?

Physics news on Phys.org
konichiwa2x said:
Hi,
I recently did a problem in which a block of definite mass was placed on the top of a inclined plane which was inclined at some angle with the horizontal. The block starts to slide down. What would happen if the inclined plane was not fixed?
What do yo think would happen?

well I think there won't be any effect i.e, it would be the same as if it was fixed. is that right?

No. Answer this question: Does the inclined plane exert a force on the block?

Then consider Newton's 3rd law.

The movement(s) will depend on the mass of the block and plane, and the coefficient of friction between block/plane and plane/floor.

Imagine what would happen if you had a 50 lb block of ice on a 10 lb 45 degree metal plane on a sheet of ice.

No. Answer this question: Does the inclined plane exert a force on the block?

Then consider Newton's 3rd law.

yes , mgcos[tex]\theta[/tex] if [tex]\theta[/tex] is the inclination of the inclined planed with respect to the horizontal. So that means the block also exerts a force equal in magnitude on the inc. plane. I think if the magnitude of this force is large enough, the inclined plane will move . But I am not sure in which direction. Is this correct?

konichiwa2x said:
yes , mgcos[tex]\theta[/tex] if [tex]\theta[/tex] is the inclination of the inclined planed with respect to the horizontal. So that means the block also exerts a force equal in magnitude on the inc. plane. I think if the magnitude of this force is large enough, the inclined plane will move . But I am not sure in which direction. Is this correct?
Yes, this is correct. Try drawing a free body diagram and examine the forces. You may also wish to note that conservation of momentum applies here.

konichiwa2x said:
yes , mgcos[tex]\theta[/tex] if [tex]\theta[/tex] is the inclination of the inclined planed with respect to the horizontal.
Careful. The force that the incline plane exerts on the block--the normal force--will only equal [itex]mg\cos\theta[/itex] if the plane does not accelerate.
So that means the block also exerts a force equal in magnitude on the inc. plane.
Yes, that is exactly the point.
I think if the magnitude of this force is large enough, the inclined plane will move . But I am not sure in which direction. Is this correct?
Yes. A simple case to analyze is when the inclined plane slides without friction.

The direction that the inclined plane will move is easy to determine. The only horizontal force on the plane is the normal force exerted by the block on the plane. If you draw a diagram showing the forces acting (as Hoot suggests) you will quickly see which way that force acts.

Related to Block on Inclined Plane: The Effects of a Fixed vs. Unfixed Surface

1. What is a block on an inclined plane?

A block on an inclined plane is an object, usually a rectangular block, placed on a tilted surface. This setup is often used in physics experiments to study the effects of gravity and friction on an object's motion.

2. What is the purpose of using a fixed surface vs. an unfixed surface for the inclined plane?

The purpose of using a fixed surface, such as sandpaper, on the inclined plane is to increase the amount of friction between the block and the surface. This allows for a more controlled experiment, as the friction force can be adjusted by changing the type of surface. An unfixed surface, such as a smooth wooden plank, will have less friction and may result in different outcomes.

3. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the block's motion?

The steeper the angle of the inclined plane, the greater the force of gravity acting on the block. This results in a faster acceleration of the block down the plane. As the angle decreases, the force of gravity decreases and the block's acceleration also decreases.

4. What is the relationship between the weight of the block and the force of friction on the inclined plane?

The weight of the block, which is the force of gravity acting on the block, is directly proportional to the force of friction on the inclined plane. This means that as the weight of the block increases, so does the force of friction. This relationship can be represented by the equation Ff = μmg, where Ff is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the block, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How can the results of this experiment be applied in real-life situations?

The results of this experiment can be applied in various real-life situations, such as designing ramps and slopes for wheelchair accessibility, determining the optimal angle for a car to climb a hill, and understanding the effects of friction on objects moving on inclined surfaces. This knowledge can also be applied in engineering and construction to ensure stability and safety in structures built on inclined surfaces.